what is worst part of having revision ?

JRinAZ
on 3/21/08 6:13 am - Layton, UT

So O am curious tohearm from my peers !   What is the worst part of having revision ?   The worst thing for me is not having a large peer based support system of folks who have exactly the same Revision.  When I had my proximal Rny, I was hooked up with lots of support groups so if I had an issue then there were oodles of folks to talk me through it and give ideas on getting a fix.  This time around, I can find few who have gone from a Proximal Rny to an Extended Rny.  My common channel is just 50 centimeters which is even a bit aggressive for most Deudenol Switch people and my body hasn't reacted well.  It would be nice to hear from those who have "been there and done that" that time will heal or that certain tricks will help. The good?  Definitely the weight loss!  I lost very quickly which others report isn't common for a Revision.  I was in my goal weight range within the first 8 weeks or so.  I'm hovering 1 pound above my goal weight; for a loss of 39 lbs since the Revision on 12/26/07. advice?  Do NOT have a revision if you are NOT committed to being compliant!  Most Revisions require high maintenance vitamins/supplements and diligence with labs! 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

misspredator1111
on 3/29/08 1:24 pm, edited 1/13/09 2:56 am - IL
MaryTeresa
on 3/21/08 12:02 pm - Loveland, OH
Hetting the insurence to aprroove it. That is it.
Ruesnod
on 3/26/08 2:27 pm - Pima, AZ
Ginau;  I am only 8 days post-op from my revision.  I can tell you the worst things so far.  It has been extremely more painful than my original laproscopic RNY.  My revision was also laproscopic, but they had to take out my gall bladder, remove a ton of scar tissue, and remove part of my old stomach while also reshaping my pouch.  I have been sleeping in a recliner since I got home Saturday because I can't sleep flat on my back and sleeping on either side puts too much pressure on my incisions.  My back is a wreck now, so I would actually be feeling at about 80%, but with my back giving me trouble, I'm still at about 70%. It was much harder to do my walking in the hospital because I hurt so much more. The other bad part is, to put it bluntly, Starting over!  I never thought I'd have to do this all again, the 6 weeks of 1 oz of pureed food and such.  It's not like I'm hungry or anything, it's just that you have to be so structured after you've already gotten used to your new body and stomach.  Now I have to throw it all out the window, start over, and wait to see how my new pouch and non-gall bladder is going to react.  My best friend had her gall bladder out a couple of years ago and she can't tollerate certain foods that she could before.  So I'm wondering how that will affect me in addition to the new pouch. I have to tell myself everyday that this is going to be better because of my other complications and that keeps me from feeling too bad for myself.  So far I don't have any diarrhea problems or anything like that, but heck, I still haven't had a "Movement" since my surgery. It's a new life again, but it's going to be a good one!!
(deactivated member)
on 3/26/08 8:47 pm - TX

waiting for approval and a date!

I love my DS.  The pain was typical of any major surgery.  The vitamins are no big deal.  The loose liquidy stools were only the first few weeks as my system became used to my new plumbing.  Learning how my body would react to foods took effort.  Losing weight took no effort from me, I just followed the rules for a DS.  64 oz of water daily, protein first and then complex and simple carbs if I had room.

Most Active