what is worst part of having revision ?

ginau
on 3/19/08 12:40 pm - mesa, AZ
So O am curious tohearm from my peers !   What is the worst part of having revision ? pain , vitamins,  hershey squirts ??  please tell me ......   I need to hear good, bad, and ugly !
SophieGrace
on 3/20/08 3:19 am - IL
Except for having a huge incision (my revision was a much bigger surgery), I've had no real problems. The g-tube was the worst for me.  I had it removed a month ago and it still feels as if someone stuck a pencil in my rib cage. I'm also not losing weight at all like I did before -- terrified that I'm stuck forever at this weight.  Lost 15 pounds right after surgery, and now nothing for two weeks.  That's the worst part of all.

SophieGrace 

moosemama
on 3/20/08 5:04 am - Palmer, AK
I also lost 15 pounds right after surgery and now am stuck.  I had to have a lap band removed because it eroded into my stomach and then I got bypass.  I have a friend who had bypass three months before me and has lost a 100 pounds already.  I am frustrated and feel like the bypass has not worked. With the lap band I knew right away I coulden't eat certain things because I then pb (productive burp) them up.  With bypass I can eat anything and so I do.  My mind is not focused like it was with the first surgery.  The first surgery I was excited to lose the weight and really worked at it.  This time I guess I am waiting for it to fail too so I am not doing all I should be if that makes sense.  Anyone that is going through what I am please email me so we can talk.  I really need someone to understand what I am going through and help me. Thanks, Dawna
lyne R.
on 3/20/08 6:57 am - windsor, Canada
Dawna I'm so sorry you're going thru this you need to set your mind , you cannot eat anything you want or you will be setting yourself for failure you can't and will not fail at this again  be strong you are very lucky you had this second chance it took me 3 years and alot of tears and disappointment b4 i finally got accepted for RNY revision and i'm so greatful for it i'm not screwing it up this time cause losing weight feels soooo good i'm so much happier now  . i am 4 1/2 months out and i'm down 77 lbs ,10 years ago i had a vbg lost 130lbs in 10 months and thought i was thin enuff to start eating what i wanted next thing you know i was craving those bad foods again and 4 years later i had put on 110lbs that i had lost.So please Dawna don't loose hope you can do this, we can do this don't set yourself up for failure have faith in yourself and beat it and use your tool wisely . Wish you the best of luck
lyne R.
on 3/20/08 7:08 am - windsor, Canada
i think the worse part for me was the pain i was having after surgery they tried every kind of pain killer and patch but not too much helped my Doc said he had to cut thru very thick tissue from my prior open wls and tummy tuck i had done 8 years ago they had to do my revision open cause i had gallstones and had to remove my gallbladder .so i din't go back to work for 9 weeks but i'm so happy now that i had it done and i would go thru with it again.i am down 77lbs i had surgery nov 07th .Good luck to ya!
Smitha
on 3/21/08 1:32 am - Vestavia, AL

Just had a revision. Are you saying the weight comes off more slowly after a revision?

happy girl
on 3/20/08 12:42 pm
I think  trying to explain WHY I was having a revision.  Not that I told that many people, but not too many people get it.  The slower weight loss. I think that's it

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

ginau
on 3/20/08 1:17 pm - mesa, AZ
thank you all for the  open and honest feedback !  I am not crazzy  about having a large open scar - but if that is the price - so be it !  And yes - I am already hearing about a decission to have revision - But hey theese people do not walk in my shoes or pay rent to live in my head ! Any other issue's like  constipation, loose stools ??  
happy girl
on 3/20/08 10:17 pm
Since I have a Distal RNY now, I do have some issues with Diarrhea... it's made worse with carbs and sugar, so I really have to watch what I eat or i pay for it. Both my surgeries were open, and my revision scar is bigger than the first one by a long way, my first one was tiny, but that really wasn't an issue for me. The one thing you can do is exercise and don't drink with your meals.  i think those are 2 key things.  i have been a post op since 2003 (first RNY) and in my opinion those are the 1st two things people let go of post op.  good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

tjays
on 3/27/08 2:53 pm - burbank, CA
Have you considered or is the VSG an option?  I'm choosing this because of the concerns you are curious about.  I know there is not much history on it but after already having a VBG in 1992 I felt this would be the best solution to make a big difference in the failed VBG I had.  This is far less invasive and you don't have to worry about vitamins and potty habits if you eat healthier.  I would like to request when people on this forum talk about revision that they provide the prior surgery they had so we know where your comming from.  Thanks, Terri 
Most Active