Stomaphyx vs. RNY

soweto
on 3/19/08 7:21 am - Durham, NC
If my physician says that I would be a good candidate for Stomaphyx, does that mean that the RNY revision will not work?
MaryTeresa
on 3/21/08 12:13 pm - Loveland, OH
I have an extremely dialated stoma and rerouting the plumming would only complicate my health giving me dumping syndrome and not addressing the real problem. My stoma is dialated so large that food goes right to my intestines not to my stomach and I am left hungry all the time. a stomaphyx pinches the stoma further closed and pinches your pouch smaller. I am having Lap over RNY to fix my problem my Dr also has a Clinical study going on to fill part of the stoma with cologen he said 20% of RNy patients have stoma issues. I am deffinately one. He agrees that it would only complicate things putting the Y further down. I dont need malabsorbtion I just need to fix the stoma problem he is going to band and fill me back to a .5oz -1oz stomach and stoma like a M&M because I did so well with my original. I am one who will stick to the letter with my diet amd vitamins. There are options out there if your stoma is the issue your Dr would not want to do the Biliopancriatic Diversion it is more like a DS than RNY. Everyone is different do a self eval of your personality if you are great at sticking to the rules you may want to concider Stomaphyx , Rose, Or Lap over RNY. If you have little control over your self you may want to talk to your Dr about Conversion to DS. Or if like my mom you are great with sticking to the program but have stoma issues she is doing the cologen clincal study. Research and be honest with yourself and you will find your answer. Goodluck!
babybee6
on 3/21/08 12:22 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Do you know what the cologen procedure is called and what doctor is doing this? I'm very interested since I've never heard of this one. The enlarged stoma must be a problem for a lot of people. At least the medical community is aware and trying to find ways to help us. Brenda
MaryTeresa
on 3/21/08 12:42 pm - Loveland, OH
Dr Schumacher @ Kettering Medical Center is . It starts in April My mom is one of the 1st she has her consultaion on 04/07/08 @ 1pm . He told me about it when I was in on 03/20/08 for my revision consultaion. He said what they use to fill stoma's currently disapears with in 2 years but cologen stays put. Just call his staff and say that you wanted a consultaion with him for the Clinical Cologen Study in April and they will set it up. My mom is so excited. she is not one on big surgeries and was looking inro the rose procedure study but could only get in on one in Virginia so she was thrilled to have this opportunity. He really is a nice Dr. Instead of insulting me for gaining back my weight he praised me for how much I lost 1st time and set up my EGD and Bloodwork for me. He also is going to fill my stoma a little while I am in the EGD to help me till The Surgery to fix my problem. My original Dr wanted to do something called Biliopancriatic Diversion which would not have solved my Stoma problem. and My original Dr insulted both my mother and me for gaining weight. I just done think he cares anymore which is sad. But Dr Schumacher Does seem to genuanly care about his patients. His staff even said only good things about him and I come from a family of Nurses and never heard any Dr praised like Dr Schumacher. Good luck.
Most Active