What do I do now?

Monique H.
on 3/18/08 1:46 am
I had an UGI done yesterday and the guy doing it said that my pouch looked okay to him for as far out as I was, but he was going to look at it some more just to make sure. I don't know what to do. I thought for sure that my pouch was stretched out and my stoma and that was the reason I wasn't losing weight. I haven't lost weight since I was 6 months out. When I asked him about my stoma he kept explaining about my pouch so I don't know if he even knows what a stoma is. I really need to find out what is going on, but have no idea what steps to take now. Please help me.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Angela M.
on 3/18/08 2:54 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
Are you still with the same surgeon you had originally or did you get a new one?  The guy who did your upper GI is just a radiologist and though I am sure he has done this lots of times, his opinion alone will not make or break you getting a revision.  Your next step should be to contact your surgeon or your PCP and have them order you an EGD.  This will tell the exact size of your pouch and stoma.  You surgeon should go from there and make a decision. This is the exact same thing I am going through.  I had my upper GI done a couple of weeks ago and was told that my pouch is not too big or stretched out, its just that when my original surgeon created it, he made it too big to benefit me beyond what it already has and being that I am only 9.5 months out and still have 60-80 lbs to lose....it will be very difficult for me to be successful.  So next week I get my EGD and my new surgeon told me last week that if I am not happy then it will never work.  So we will discuss things further when he gets back the results of my EGD. Hope this helps.........

317/287/170

Monique H.
on 3/18/08 3:13 am
It sounds like you have a great new surgeon. I still have the same one and the people working in his office have had surgery. To me it seems like since they were successful they feel like it must be something that I'm doing that is causing me to not lose the weight. My concern is how will I get insurance to pay for it if they are saying there is nothing wrong with the pouch.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Angela M.
on 3/18/08 3:37 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
You need to go to another surgeon.  Look on this site and find surgeons that are in your area (if you are not already familiar).  Then from there look at your insurance companies website to determine which of them are in your network and have a good record.  Start calling from that list and setting up consults.  That is what I did.  I only tried one doctor and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Why did you not come to me first?"  I told him that at the time, he was not in network with my insurance so I could not come to him.

317/287/170

ginau
on 3/18/08 11:02 pm - mesa, AZ

Did you read Dr Husted website ?  He talks about metobolic failure !   I thought it was very interesting and  think he is  very correct, I dont think I stretched my pouch - I think my stoma is stretched and they can not see that on my exrays.  cause I like you have not lost a lb since 13 months out , I think I am up 12 lbs from my lowest - very depressing!!!

My orriginal surgeon just dropped me  because I am talking to another surgeon who does  revisions!    so right now I am trying to get a better idea of what can be done!

Most Active