revision advice in Pittsburgh

mmp1952
on 3/17/08 11:57 am
I am looking for any posts from anyone in Pittsburgh who has had revision surgery at UPMC regarding their experiences. I had RNY in Nov 2002 and lost about 95 lbs, and now over the last year I find that the weight is coming back on - my PCP suggests that I go back to my original surgeon, Dr. Hamad, to see if anything is wrong. I never did lose the last 50 lbs, despite my best efforts and now I wonder if I qualify for revision surgery. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.
jeannine29
on 3/19/08 9:32 am - Pittsburgh, PA
hi there... I have not had a revision but am looking into it as well.  I read that Dr. Eid does revisions, he would be my choice hands down.  He repaired a hernia for me the beginning of this year and he was wonderful.  I wish he did my initial surgery.  You might want to check him out.
MsDeniseinPA
on 3/20/08 1:53 am - PA
Jeannine, I'm curious as to why you wouldn't go back to Dr. Quinlin for a revision? I'm meeting with him tomorrow to start my process, so any info. would be appreciated. TIA!
danilee30
on 4/2/08 12:04 pm - PIttsburgh, PA
Hi, I am from Pittsburgh and I had my original WLS 9.5 yrs ago in 1998.  I lost about 160 lbs, felt great and was thrilled.  In late 2000 my weight lost slowed down and I felt like I could eat substantially more.  I told the doctor and he be littled me.  I chose not to return.  In fall of 2001 I went in for a hernia repair and they did an upper GI said my stomach size was what the expected.  Before i left the hospital I had hernias again. I through my hands up in the air and quit going to surgeons.  In 2005 I had a bowel obstruction and when I saw a different surgeon I asked about revision...I was about 25 lbs below my original weight.  The doctor told me that I would need to eat only 2 meals a day before they would even consider checking my stomach etc. Last summer I went to my pcp first time in a few years and was diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure.  We talked about my WLS and she suggested I go back to a surgeon.  I refused.  Finally in November my pcp and diabetic educator talked me into going back to the surgeon.  I went to Joseph Colella and he did an upper GI.  The results showed a fistula and I am having revision surgeon either 4/21 or 4/28. Dr Colella is not with UPMC he is West Penn AGH, but I thought the info may help.  Please keep posting so I can see what happens with you. Good Luck in your quest. Danna
Most Active