Question to ask Dr. BEFORE revision surgery???

DebSmKi
on 3/17/08 1:13 am - PA

Hi, Im going to see my surgeon tomorrow to have one last consulat before my revision. I had open rny 8 yrs ago that failed due to poor post op instructions...(non bariatric surgeon) anyhow....i know my pouch has stretch & he will be revising it...I just dont know exactly what to ask him before surgery..i want to be informed!!!  but dont know what i need to know LOL

Angela M.
on 3/17/08 2:39 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
When you say "poor post op instructions", what exactly do you mean?  Did you not have access to a nutritionist?  Were you not given the 3 stages of the post op diet?  These are the most important things.  You need to know how you should eat, what you should eat.  Protein and water are very important.  The proper or best way to get these in when newly post op is so important.

317/287/170

DebSmKi
on 3/17/08 2:59 am - PA
my first time around was not with a bariatric surgeon....he had me eating solid/soft food while still in the hospital. ive been to support groups....going to a nutrition class next week and know now....that its a tool not a solution!!  thanks
Angela M.
on 3/17/08 3:23 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
Yes, it is certainly just a tool and not an end all....But if I were you I would ask about what to expect after surgery.  When is a good time for you to start doing some cardio work-outs and possibly weight training.  Those sort of questions.  You should also ask him how big he plans on making your pouch and how much food will you be able to consume.

317/287/170

skinny_cyndi
on 3/17/08 5:01 am - Mahwah, NJ
I had a RNY revision on 2/27, and have lost about 18 pounds so far. I would ask what kind of protein shakes and vitamins to have on hand, every surgeon is different a bit. make sure you get calcium citrate and not carbonate. Also, are they bypassing more or less than your last surgery? Are they making your pouch smaller, some revisions do not.
happy girl
on 3/18/08 1:18 am
Hopefully this doesn't come too late, but I would ask EXACTLY what he is going to do and get him to draw a picture for you.   Ask how many of this procedure he has done.  What is the followup schedule, will you see him at your f/up appts, what is his complication rate for revisions, how long will you be the hospital, what kind of pain managment will you have, lap or open, what is his conversation rate from lap to open.  What access will you have to a dietician, what expections does he have for weight loss for you. How often does he order labs, what vit/minerals does he recommend and why. I think that is a good start for you.  GOOD LUCK Please let us know how your visit went

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Most Active