4yrs post RNY, low bone denisty

Mike242
on 3/15/08 9:12 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi all, I am 4 yrs out of RNY, have kept off 80 of the 100lbs i lost.  A DEXA scan indicates I now have low bone denisty in my spine leading to a diag of Osteoporosis.  I am a 43 year old male and find this hard to believe.  I am seriously considering a reversal or revision.  Im in the Los Angeles area. I am looking for any and all advice, referrals, etc. Thanks,
~~Sami~~ *.
on 3/15/08 12:10 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Mike: There's a special Yahoo Group for WLS patients with Osteoporosis.  You may want to check it out.  I'm sure there will be a lot of good info in the files and archives. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ossg-osteoporosis/ Good luck!

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Mike242
on 3/15/08 4:19 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the link Sami.
KRWaters
on 3/16/08 1:57 pm - Manteca, CA
Many people have a revision to a DS after a failed lapband or RnY. Check out the DS forum or go to duodenalswitch.com. Just one more choice, that's all. Best of luck.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/08 9:33 pm - NJ

The DS is much more malabsorptive than the RNY, so wouldn't that cause his bone density to plunge and somewhat guarantee Osteoporosis in his future? I would immediately reverse the procedure and then revise it to something restrictive.

Most Active