VBG to RNY Anyone??

pam0947
on 3/14/08 12:35 am

I am looking for someone that has had a revision from a VBG to a RNY.  The dr. says the weight loss is much slower.. but how slow?  I know it is relative to each individual based on eating habits and diet, but thought I would ask.  Anyone out there??

katrinaha
on 3/14/08 2:54 am - Houston, TX
HI Pam, I had revision from VBG to RNY 3/6/08. Lost 14 pounds. I think it really does matter on the person, but I think it is faster then VBG in general.
sage61
on 3/14/08 3:28 am - TX
katrinaha... are you feeling ok?  i have heard such horror stories about revision. i'm in panic mode.  *sigh*
katrinaha
on 3/14/08 3:53 am - Houston, TX
My revision was not planned, but I am doing well. Don't worry about the horror stories, just keep positive. I am looking forward to getting my life back, thats what counts in the long run, right? Please let me know if you have any questions, I hope everything works out great for you! :) Katrina
sage61
on 3/14/08 3:27 am - TX
I had VBG in 2000.  i will have corrective / revision on march 19th.  i'm sure the weight loss will be slower with everything i've read.  i'm really doing it more to save my life..  good luck with your decision. 
lyne R.
on 3/14/08 5:25 am - windsor, Canada
I had s VBG done back in 1998 lost 130lbs in 10 months and after 4 years started to regain the weight with poor eating habits again, i gained 110 lbs of it back .in Nov i had a RNY done to date i'm done 65lbs i haven't lost a thing in 3 weeks and it's very depressing but i keep excercising and getting all my protein and water in everyday i'm sure i will start losing again soon my hubby says i'm not eating enuff and that my body is prolly in starvation mode  but who knows.i just don't want to screw this up again and yes there is alot of pain the second time around but i had both of my wls open and i had  abdominal plasty 8 years ago so i had alot of thick tissue to cut thru it took 9 weeks b4 i actually went back to work,this is only my experience doesn't mean it happens to everyone . and i would do it over again .
Melissa D.
on 3/15/08 1:08 pm - West Burlington, IA
I had a VBG in 1999.  I lost 130+ pounds.  Bad eating habits, etc, etc, etc... I gained back 90 pounds of that.   I did WW and lost 100 pounds... got pregnant... gained 90 back... tried WW again, and just couldn't do it this time.  I decided to have a revision to RNY and am now almost a month out.   I've lost 40 pounds so far without really trying.  I will say that recovery has been slooooow.  I had to have an open RNY.  They said it might take much longer to do my procedure because it was a revision, but once they got in there, it was like I hadn't had any previous surgery, so it went pretty quickly (the old stapleline was gone, the band was gone, minimal scar tissue).  My hospital stay wasn't even as long as they expected.

Mel

nursekrista35
on 3/19/08 2:12 pm - louisville, OH
HAD VBG IN 1996 THE WORST THING I EVER DID. HAD REVISION TO OPEN RNY 7/07. I REALLY DO REMEMBER BEING IN MORE PAIN THE FIRST TIME AROUND. HOWEVER, I DID LOOSE WEIGHT REALLY FAST IM DOWN 85 LBS SINCE I HAVE STARTED AND AT MY WEIGHT THAT MY SURGEON CALLS HIS GOAL WEIGHT FOR ME I HOWEVE NEED TO LOOSE 20 MORE THEN ILL BE HAPPY... SO GLAD I HAD MY RNY THATS FOR SURE..
Most Active