revision decision

ced
on 3/13/08 12:09 am - Iowa, LA
I am considering my options for revision after regain of weight since my ryn 5 years ago. I always wanted a band around my stomach but am considering going "more distal" as my dr. states. I am meeting with dr next week about test results and options. I need any thoughts or suggestions about which route to take. Thanks in advance for all your help!
DianeI
on 3/13/08 9:04 am - MD
Have you had an endoscopy to measure your pouch and your stoma. I just had it done yesterday.
ced
on 3/13/08 10:43 pm - Iowa, LA
I will find out the results of this test on Tuesday when I go back to the dr. Hopefully this will help determine what my options are!
Monique H.
on 3/13/08 3:37 pm
before making a final decision make sure you spend some time on the duodenal switch board. After spending some time there myself I think that might be the best option for me.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
liquidl
on 3/14/08 5:37 am
I agree that you should check out the DS board, but also look at the Stomaphyx. I had my DS eight years ago after I deciding against an RNY. Although DS has good success rates with long term weight loss, I am experiencing the need for a revision due to an enlarged stomach pouch. Pouch stretching is common with both a DS and a RNY, but the DS has better long term weight loss results and you can keep your pyloric valve (if you still have one.) I originally considered a lap band as a revision option, but I am now leaning toward the Stomaphyx because it is so much less invasive a surgery and MUCH less expensive. The main reason for my weight gain is my pouch size. The lap band doesn't correct this issue; it only limits the amount of food going into my enlarged pouch. I'm worried that if I get a band, I will graze all day through the smaller opening but never experience satiation due to the continuation of a large pouch. That is why I now like the stomaphyx as a revision option -- it will put pleats in my stomach to shrink it and help it empty slowly. I'll feel full longer and eat less meals overall. This is the main benefit that it has over the band. Another GIGANTIC consideration is the fact that its done through the mouth, i.e. there are no abdominal incisions!!! You can go home the same day after a fairly simple outpatient surgery under minimal anesthesia, with just 1-day of recovery, and be back at work with just a sore throat. I'm also looking for feedback if anyone has any.
Elizabeth N.
on 3/16/08 12:12 pm - Burlington County, NJ
If you had the full DS procedure, you don't have a pouch. You have a subtotal sleeve gastrectomy with a fully functioning pyloric valve. It is my understanding that the Stomaphyx is to improve a stretched stoma, and if you had the full DS, you don't have a stoma. If your weight chart in your profile is current, you do not qualify for a revision under any standards whatsoever, and it would be highly unethical of any surgeon to perform any additional procedures on you.
JROLFSON
on 3/26/08 1:32 am - St. George, UT
So you had a DS 8 years ago? I always thought that DS meant that you have a large pouch, i.e. they remove a portion of the stomach and leave you with a much larger pouch and your able to eat much more than an RNY. I have never heard of somene's pouch streching with a DS.  I think you should really do your research when it comes to Stomaphyx. It is fairly a new procedure and doesn't produce the kind of results most people want unless you are very disciplined to the doctors recommendations for after care. If you follow the diet plan on your own that they give you after the stomaphyx, you're going to lose weight anyway. You're right about it being less invasive, quicker recovery, less expensive and returning to work quicker. But it is just a helpful tool, not a revisionary fix. If your original surgery was DS, I believe you've had one of the most ratical and successful surgeries out there. I wish I had DS on my first go round. I'm now researching a 3rd revision and I would love to have DS. I didn't realize that they aren't successful long term. I would appreciate know more about it. Thank you. JRolfson
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/08 1:40 am - TX

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/

The DS is a great option.

Shawnta H.
on 3/16/08 11:27 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello, I had a revision from Proximal to Distal RNY on 12/26/07 and I have lost 40 lbs in just under 3 months. A good friend of mine had the same procedure on 1/14/08 and she has lost 30 lbs.  I did a lot of research before deciding to go this route and I am very pleased with the results so far.  Keep in mind that what worked for others may not be the best solution for you so do plenty of research before making a decision.  There are so many good revision options today  I think the most important thing is to find a highly skilled surgeon for whichever procedure you choose. Good Luck S
JROLFSON
on 3/26/08 1:50 am - St. George, UT
Hi Shawnta: I'm very interested in your Revision to distal. I to have a friend who had Proximal to Distal in January and she has lost almost all her excess weight. Can you tell me how your recovery went? How are you doing as far as incision, getting around after surgery, eating, nausea. Can you elaborate on any of those things. I really want to go this route, but so far haven't heard to much on the re cooperation of the revision to distal. Thank you so much for anything you can tell me. JRolfson
Most Active