What is the difference between an UGI and an EGD?

Monique H.
on 3/12/08 8:54 am, edited 3/12/08 9:31 am
My doctor scheduled an UGI series for me. Is this how they measure the size of the pouch and stoma. Also what is an EGD? I read that people are having it, but I'm not sure what that test is for. I'm trying to see what is going on with me and have a revision if necessary. I haven't lost weight in 5 months (since I was 6 months post op) and I still need tol lose about 100 pounds. I didn't even lose 50 percent of my weight. I just want to make sure they are doing all the test that they need to do because I don't want this to be a long drawn out process if it doesn't have to be. Thanks for your answers in advance.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/08 12:05 pm
Hi Monique- A UGI (Upper GI or upper gastrointestinal tract) is a test done with a barium swallow and an x-ray.  You consume some thick, tasteless pudding-like consistency stuff and stand in front of the chest x-ray machine and they take a few pics.  The test will show how quickly the barium goes through you and it "highlights" your basic anatomy on the films.   An EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) is the test done with the scope that goes down your esophagus.  It measures the size of the pouch, size of the stoma, and can see any other gastric problems like ulcers, etc.  They view all this on a monitor (tv screen).   If you're looking into a revision then you really should have both of these tests done.  Hope that helps!
Monique H.
on 3/13/08 3:29 pm
Thank you it helps a lot. I didn't know if you needed to have one done first before you could have the other. I'm going to request that my doctor have both done now. I have an appt. Monday for the UGI but I want to know exactly what is going on with my stoma and pouch.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active