RNY 7YRS out...Upper Gi Series Today... Questions.....

MaryTeresa
on 3/11/08 11:52 am - Loveland, OH
I had  my upper GI series done today because my Dr was concerned why I went from 0 hunger level to hunger all the time. Found out my pouch is fine is about the size of a large egg but the exit to my stomach is dialated to the size of my intestinal opening (about the size of a jumbo hotdog) in diamiter. I meet with my Dr again on Friday but am concerned ....Has this happened to anyone else? I know I need to have another surgery to fix the problem but not sure of what options I have . I originally went to the dr to discuss revision thats when we found out it may be something else other than my pouch.  I would like to go to the Dr with at least knowing what options are available so I dont just pick the 1st one. Please help....!!! MaryTeresa (Proud mom of 2 boys)
JeannieBVA1
on 3/11/08 1:31 pm
It sounds like your stoma is too big and your food is passing right through.  It should be staying in your stomach longer..  That is probably why you get that hunger feeling all the time.
MaryTeresa
on 3/12/08 12:03 pm - Loveland, OH
My pouch is only the size of a large egg its the exit to my stomach that is dialated so nothing stays in my stomach the Dr doing the upper GI said he never saw barium run though anyone the way it does me. He said nothing is staying in my stomach. Everything does right to my bowels. I am so worried.
(deactivated member)
on 3/11/08 11:52 pm - TX
It happens all the time with the RNY.  Which is why I didn't want my RNY "fixed".  I opted for the DS instead.  Nothing mechanical to go wrong with the DS.  NO stoma and you have a normal, smaller stomach with the added benefit of malapsorption which keeps you from regaining.
cbelitze
on 3/12/08 4:38 am - south weymouth, MA
what is a ds. i had gastric bypass and i am always hungry all the time also? I do not get the feeling that I am full like i use too right after my surgery a year and half ago.
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/08 6:11 am - TX

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/

You can find information at both these places about the DS.  Come on over and ask any questions you might have.

MaryTeresa
on 3/12/08 1:07 pm - Loveland, OH

Could you tell me about the DS I know it is connected in a different way that is more mal abosobtion but with my stomch already being small I dont know how much more it would malabsorb  I know there is some kind of formula but dont know what that is . If you could share that with me I would appriciate it so I can address it with Dr Alexander when I go in on Friday.

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/08 1:44 pm - TX
Duodenal Switch

Duodenal Switch

With a revision from RNY to DS, your RNY is taken down completely *(if the surgeon can safely do so) and you go from a 1 oz. pouch with an artificial opening into your duodenem (stoma) to about a 4 oz fully functioning stomach with your own pyloric valve opening into your duodenum (small intestines)

The small intestine is divided and part of it carries the enzymes and part of it carries your food, and then it meets back together (Common Channel or CC)  to empty into your large intestine.

The average CC length varies from 50 to 150 CC, all depending on your surgeon.

Most Active