Lap Band Erosion

brazilsdh
on 3/10/08 1:51 pm - New York, NY
Lap Band on 01/08/07 with
I had lap band surgery approximately one year ago.  I lost 80 lbs but and still have another 20 to loose.  Over the past three months i have not felt the same kind of restriction that i had before.  I was never hungry before and now i am quite often.  i have gone in for fills but they do not seem to work.  I was checked for leakage and there has been none.  I am having a lot of trouble keeping off the 80 lbs and am making no headway on the other 20 for over 3 months.  My surgeon suggested i have an endoscope to see if there has been band erosion.  Only problem is if it has eroded who would pay for it to be fixed.  Does the surgoen or A;lergan pay because it was defective or do i have to pay?     This would be a problem because my husband changed jobs and our new insurance Aetna (small business) does not cover the lap band.   If i do have to pay myself does anyone know what a procedure like this would cost?    i am so dissapointed because i thought i found my miracle.  Not feeling hungry for one year was just sheer joy.   Any advice or knowledge on this subject would be truly appreciated. stephanie
catherine T.
on 3/10/08 9:50 pm - lindenhurst, ny
So sorry to hear you may have an erosion. Dr. Ren and the NYU group are some of the best in the business. My husband just had his band removed due to erosion after 4 years. Erosions are usually caused either by some kind of trauma to the stomach or an infection. My husbands we believe was from an infection. Erosions requiring band removal is an emergent surgery and most insurance companies should cover it. You should speak to the surgical co-ordinater in the office. Also some band removals can be rebanded a few months down the road. Speak to Dr. Ren . You do need to get the endoscopy ASAP and find out for sure what is going on. Best of luck to you. Cathy
brazilsdh
on 6/6/08 11:31 am - New York, NY
Lap Band on 01/08/07 with
hi you replied to my post a few months ago about lap band erosion.  Turns out i do have erosion and i guess i am a first for Dr. Ren.  She told me that i need to have the band removed, let my stomach heal for three months and then get a new one put on.  The removal will be covered by insurance..  I am just wondering how did the removal go for your husband was it a more difficult/or dangerous procedure than the actual placement of the band.  Also how long did he have to stay in the hospital and did he get a new band and how is that working out.   i see your doctor is dr fielding so i am sure you are also going to a great doctor.   any advice would be appreciated or hearing your husbands story would be of interest.  thank you. 
(deactivated member)
on 3/18/08 11:08 pm - Brampton, Canada
Wow I wish you the best Stephanie.  My band clinic charged me $16,000 two years ago when I had a revision to Lapband from an old VBG.  The cost includes unlimited fills at the clinic for 5 years plus no charge for lifetime on slips, leaks or band replacements.  Scary to think that all band clinics don't have full warranties covered 100%.  My clinic also offers a wonderful Patient Support Forum, web seminars, Symposiums and financial support for the peer support group I run.
Most Active