I feel like there is no hope for me!!!

Wendy D.
on 3/10/08 7:42 am - Enterprise, AL
First, please let me say THANK YOU to all the honest people out there. I have been reading this forum off and on for a couple months and I have found that I'm not alone in my struggle with regaining my weight after having RNY in 2003. I feel like such a failure!! I get so depressed and then eat more and gain more and can't get of the rollercoaster. I hope nobody minds but I need to tell my story and hopefully and the knowledge people have here someone will be able to help me!!! I had gastric bypass in 2003 at Eglin Airforce Base. I was so excited the military allowed me to have the procedure. I was 250 and dropped down to 150. I never reached my goal weight of 125. My primary Dr. put me on phentrimine to give me energy and to help me with my weightloss.  I learn that I'm a depression eater and that doesn't help me. I take 2 anti-depressants, zoloft and wellburtrin.  I battled depression for many years with regards to my weight. I felt like things were finally looking up for me.  Christmas 2004 I lost my Dad to cancer . I had started regaining my weight slowly and then we got transfered to NM in 2006 and I was there six months or so before  my Mom became really ill with a rare blood disorder and I had to fly home and stayed with her in the hospital for a month. I was really struggling with my weight and once I returned home to NM I started walking 3 to 5 miles everyday with my neighbor. I managed to drop back down to 160. In  2007 we where transfered and to AL. It's been almost a year leaving here in AL and I have gained back to 175.  I have tricare prime and have been told that they will not cover a revision. I feel like there is no hope. I think alot of the weight gain maybe because I stopped taking the phentrimine but I didn't feel like it was working so why continue to take it and three years is a long time to be on that kind of medicine.  I really think I need a revision but I'm to embrassed and scared to find out the answer.  In 2003 the Airforce didn't offer any education per say with the surgery just to eat as much high protein as possible, take  multivitimain and calcium and  graze all day.  I have learned this info in WRONG!!!!  I have put myself and my family through all this to be a failure all because I was given the wrong information. I'm so mad at myself for not educating myself better. If anyone has any thoughts that would help please, please, let me know.
kmbear
on 3/10/08 10:41 am - Coeur D Alene, ID
I hope that Tricare prime will do revisions, I am getting scoped tommorow and I would like to get a referal for a revision from a VBG in 2003 to a RNY.
liquidl
on 3/14/08 5:13 am
Dear Wendy, I know how frustrated and alone you must feel. I get a lot of support from this forum and am in a similar position. Have you considered self-paying for a stomaphyx procedure if you can't get into a study for a ROSE procedure? They are both endoscopic procedures that are done through the mouth to reduce the size of your stomach pouch and/or your stoma. They require very little recovery time and are done on an outpatient basis. The Stomaphyx takes about 30 minutes to an hour to perform, so it's much less expensive than a revision and much less risky. I am considering it since I don't know if insurance covers it (it's pretty new, about a year or so, but there is decent info out about it.) It's a non-invasive, inexpensive option, but there aren't too many long term patients out there yet. Good luck. Lili
spotty_dotty
on 3/16/08 2:19 am - Birmingham, UK

Sorry if this sounds a bit remeidial but if you lost weight the surgery worked? So if you now know the advice you was given was wrong but technically the surgery was performed correct! cant you make the adjustments to do things the correct way and begin again as teacnically the surgery is still working? its not sudden;t stopped has it.  You have eperienced massive trauma losing ur father and the ill health of your mother. Not to mention the three house moves which cant be helped because of the nature of them. But as you do live under the Air Force lifestyle you need to be able to anage the stress of these moves as surly thats all part of the job. If you can sit back think and identify were you are going wrong make sufficent changes and perhaps get some help for the depression and stress I believe you can turn this arround. I have confidence in you if yu can just try and remeber how fantastic you felt when you was 125lb and how super fantastic you will feel to get there again this timeliving by the correct RNY rules rather than the wrong ones.  Do it now while your 175 before you reach 180 or higher take back that control. Because technically the surgery is stil working you still have that eliment of malabsoorbtion and if you have been grazing you wont have streched your pouch too much so the surgery should be in pretty good form.

Jennifer M.
on 3/10/08 7:50 am - Casper, WY
I am so sorry to hear you are struggling. I know how you feel and want to tell you there is hope.  I also had surgery in 2003 and lost 160 lbs but the regained 32 lbs. I went back to the basics of protein, no drinking w/meals, exercise, etc and have lost 12 lbs of the regain.  Try getting back to basics and if you are having trouble losing contact your doctor to have them run tests to see if there is any kind of mechanical failure with your original surgery. Also have a heart to heart with your doctor about your meds and see if something needs changed or adjusted. Lastly, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!!! Remember you have kept off 75 lbs and how many times in your life could you say you maintained that kind of weight loss for 5 years. So big  ((((HUGS)))) to you and I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Wendy D.
on 3/10/08 8:07 am - Enterprise, AL
I have no doctor at this time. I tried to get a referral to a WLS doctor but the base refused to give it to me. Not sure where to go from here. Thanks for your understanding.
JeannieBVA1
on 3/10/08 10:38 am
Wendy,  Have you thought about possibly participating in one of the Study's?  There is several messages on here about that.   This is what I'm trying to do now.  It's called the Rose procedure. There may be a Dr. in your area. Is this something you would be interested in? Hang in there!!  Jeannie
Wendy D.
on 3/11/08 1:26 am - Enterprise, AL
Jennifer, Thank you for your help and yes I have went back to the basics or should I say I'm trying. I've started back on my protein drinks but there just not enough. I still feel hungry. It's hard when you move so much and don't really have a wls doctor that you can follow you.  I know I can't be the only military spouse going through this. I'm going to keep trying to get a referral off base  to a wls. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for being so understanding.
S Andrews
on 3/10/08 10:04 am - eatonville, WA
I too have a similar story altho I didn't come anywhere near getting close to my goal. I have tricare prime. I went straight to the tricare office and talked to them about a revision and they told me it is covered. I also spoke with them on the phone and they gave me the same information. I decided to get a primary care physician on the outside instead of using family practice at Madigan because I feel like I spin my wheels there . I talked to my pcp on the outside and he is currently working on a referral to a bariatric physician who takes tricare. Thats where things stand right now but I hope I'm heading in the right direction. Be persistant and firm about what you want and why you want it. In the meantime, look for a good support group to get into and keep up the exercise because you need to show them that you are proactive in doing your share and most importantly-DON'T FEEL LIKE A FAILURE!!!! Things happen that are beyond our control. Good luck!
Wendy D.
on 3/11/08 1:29 am - Enterprise, AL
Oooh Thank you it sounds like there might be hope after all. Please let me know what happens.
Most Active