Great information for newbies looking into revision

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/08 9:45 pm - TX

I'm almost 19 months out from my revision from RNY to DS and have done wonderful, both with my surgery and my results.  I was poking around on my surgeon's website today looking for the labs to download and get done this week and saw that my surgeon has revised his revision page with some terrific information.  It goes into detail about why your original surgery may have failed and what can be done about it.

Take a look: (and good luck to you all)

http://www.johnhustedmd.com/revisions.htm#top

Cheryl Gebbie
on 3/10/08 3:49 am - Knoxville, TN
YOu are so lucky to have had Dr Husted as  your surgeon ...5 yrs ago he was in Nashville when I was gettin ready to have RNY and my I really wanted the DS but insurance denied him and the DS ...so I went with another doc in Johnson City TN .... Just wish he was closer I would FIGHT for the right to use him and the DS this tme around .....Just cant find DS surgeons in this area... CHeryl
(deactivated member)
on 3/10/08 6:58 am - TX
On March 10, 2008 at 10:49 AM Pacific Time, CuddlyAngel wrote:
YOu are so lucky to have had Dr Husted as  your surgeon ...5 yrs ago he was in Nashville when I was gettin ready to have RNY and my I really wanted the DS but insurance denied him and the DS ...so I went with another doc in Johnson City TN .... Just wish he was closer I would FIGHT for the right to use him and the DS this tme around .....Just cant find DS surgeons in this area... CHeryl

Tell me about it!  I know I was one lucky dog.  I had both Dr. Husted and Dr. John Rabkins as my surgeons..........talk about the TOP GUNS of their fields!  When I had my first consult with Dr. H. he was in Nashville, then relocated to SF.  So I followed him out there.  Best choice I ever made.........seriously.

I've had zero problems.

Hondurian Queen
on 3/10/08 5:30 am - BOSTON, MA
thankyou starry1st this is good info thanks again

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/08 6:58 am - TX
You are welcome.  I hope this can help lots of ya's!
reenieb
on 3/13/08 11:44 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Thanks for this, Dawn. I am scheduled for some sort of "revision" surgery 4/16 via endoscopy procedure - not real clear on what's going to be done except my stoma opening is going to be sutured to bring it to about 10 cm. What did you have done? I'm nervous that I'm doing something that won't end up with my losing the regained weight. Any advice? Thanks! Maureen
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/08 12:25 am - TX

The only advice I can give you is to KNOW what's going on with your body and get a good understanding of what your surgeon is going to do and what your options are. 

I don't know if after getting the stoma "repaired" that would preclude you from another revision should it fail but that is something I would want to know beforehand. That being said, I doubt it, as I've heard of some who have had many attempts at revisions.  I know one woman who is on her 4th weight loss surgery.

I opted not to have my RNY "fixed" and wanted to go with a surgery that had the best odds of getting the weight off once and for all.  The DS.  At my age and since I had lost too many years to being obese, I wanted never to worry about it again.  Even if it was the hardest surgery to do, most expensive, least surgeons who are able to successfully perform it, etc........I felt that it was the best option for me and I took a calculated risk (since I was in fairly good health for a fat person)

It paid off for me.

Good luck. 

Most Active