Stoma Question

Binxalways
on 3/9/08 8:41 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
My husband & I were talking and I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that it is more common for the stoma to relax/enlarge after a revision than it is for it to relax/enlarge after a brand new, first time RNY. My husband said that didn't sound right because a new opening is still being created if the RNY is being revised - So he thought that it would be like starting with a fresh opening either way. Now I am wondering what is correct because he has a point. Does anybody have any answers? Thanks a bunch!!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth
skinny_cyndi
on 3/9/08 10:06 am - Mahwah, NJ
I had a revision due to staple line disruption and an ulcer. My original RNY pouch was 30cc. My revision was done laparoscopically and my surgeon remade the new pouch at 40cc. His reasoning was he did not want to make it too tight as there can be many more complications with revisions. My original stoma was not stretched out that much.
ginau
on 3/9/08 12:02 pm - mesa, AZ
Ya might get lucky and get  Dr Schlesinger to answer that question, All I have ever heard is revision tends to bypass more intestine and leave the pouch alone.
ShielaC.
on 3/9/08 4:45 pm
Is he still putting messages on here? I saw something from Dr. Garber about stomapyz, but no new info from Dr. Slessinger. Dr. Garber said the phyx doesn't work over a failed DS which Ithought was good to know.
chippilyn
on 3/10/08 11:25 am - lebanon, NH
My stoma had started stretching after about 4 years and stretched out to the point that it was bigger than my pouch after orginal RNY. It took it 7 years to get to that point but it caused a bunch of unpleasant complications. I just had the lapband put around the bottom of my pouch to basically act like the stoma. I decided to do this because I did not want to be back in four more years with a stretched stoma and no one could guarantee by redoing the RNY that would not happen.
Binxalways
on 3/10/08 1:14 pm - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hello! Thank you for responding to my question! I'm really struggling to decide between the full revision & the lap-band over RNY. Like you, I really don't want to be back a few years from now in the same situation with the full revision & re-stretching. How has your weight loss been with the lapband over your original RNY? Did insurance cover the procedure, and if so, what insurance do you have? I would greatly appreciate any information that you would be willing to share! Thanks a bunch!!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth
(deactivated member)
on 3/10/08 10:53 pm - TX
Have you looked into a DS.  I didn't want to ever face a 3rd weight loss surgery.
Most Active