Restore Trial

DESSmith
on 3/9/08 8:37 am - Mattapan, MA

I'm scheduled for the Restore Trial procedure on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 with Dr. Christopher Thompson.  Has anyone had this procedure done with him?  if so can you share your experience. I am having anxiety just thinking of it.   I had a RNY 1999 and lost 100lb, but have gained more than half of my weight back.  I feel like crap with the weight gain. 

Betsy C.
on 3/9/08 8:58 am - Efland, NC
I had RESTORe, but at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, 10 days ago.  I'm still on the full liquid diet until next Saturday.  There's nothing to be anxious about.  You will be out during the entire procedure.  Now I won't lie, you will have anything from a mildly sore throat to a killer sore throat.  I had the killer sore throat, but others reported theirs was mild.  Depending on how you handle anesthesia, you might be nauseaus after you wake up.  I also had a headache for two days while my body was detoxing from carbs.  Make sure whomever you take with you to the hospital gets whatever prescriptions you need from the doc (if necessary) and gets them filled in the hopsital pharmacy while you're still in recovery.  May husband had to drag me to a drug store right from the hospital to fill the Rx's and all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and stay there for the next day or so.  Oh, and don't make any plans for the next day after the procedure b/c you'll most likely be in bed.  My sore throat lasted 3-4 days, but was only really bad the next day.  Here are some things I would recommend you have on hand: Liquid Tylenol (for throat and headache); throat numbing spray or strips (Cepacol or Chloraseptic); tea & chicken broth (both help with sore throat); sugar free popsicles (helps with sore throat). 

I had RNY in 2003 and regained 40 lbs in the last 3 years.  Since having RESTORe, I have  already lost 8-1/2 lbs in 10 days.   So you have that to look forward to. 

You should join the Yahoo Group for RESTORe participants.   Go to http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/restore_trial/join
There are about 20 of us and we share stories and experiences, and ask lots of questions of those who have already had the procedure. Good luck, Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

reenieb
on 3/13/08 11:49 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Betsy, what is Restore? I'm having surgery with Dr. Thompson next month but I don't know what he's doing! My insurance is covering it so I don't need to participate in the trial. Thanks. Maureen
Betsy C.
on 3/14/08 12:33 am - Efland, NC
Maureen - I answered your question regarding RESTORe on another thread. Good luck with your procedure. Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

Most Active