How do you know you need a revision?

txemt372
on 3/8/08 3:59 am - Ekron, KY
I am almost 3 years out from surgery, I try to exercise as much as possible, I only drink water, I can't eat any meat except turkey nad chicken and I have gained 13 pounds since December. I talk to my PCM and asked her to send me to a WL doctor here. I had my RNY in Texas with Dr Warnock, my husband has been restationed in Kentucky.  She says they can take care of my needs. I feel lost and alone, I never reached my goal weight and now I am at 162. I feel all tore up inside. Any help would be good.  Thanks, Shawnna
luckymomof4
on 3/8/08 4:54 am
Hi Shawna, If you have any concerns at all I would see a WL doctor.  i am a patient of Georgetown Bariatrics in georgetown, Ky.  Right at this time they are in a study on poeple that are and have gained weight after gastric bypass.  It is called the ROSE procedure.  You might want to check them out.   Denise
mjc123
on 3/8/08 5:13 am - Midlothian, VA
Hi There! Just know one thing...you are not alone and you are not a failure. You are doing all the right things. Definately see a WLS and get checked to see what is going on. There is hope... Revisions may be an option  if you have some sort of malfunction, either mechanical or otherwise or if your BMI is still 35 or above (varies according to insurance)  and you have comorbidities. I do know how you feel. Ive been there. Problem is I kept gaining until I was back to a BMI over 40. I am on a 2 week all liquid diet preparing for surgery Monday and have lost a few pounds so my BMI is 38 now. Take Care and check out a doctor  HUGS

Revision Weight Loss Tracker  Mary  

beth75
on 3/8/08 8:44 am - Brownsboro, AL
What is your BMI?  If it is >35 I would check with a weight loss surgeon, or maybe a revision surgeon.  They would probably want to do a work-up to see the mechanics of your surgery, like a barium swallow with a small bowel follow-through and an EGD.   You definitely need to follow up on this.  You are not a failure.  Sometimes the RNY isn't the correct surgery for you and a revision to the DS is the answer.  It definitely was for me.  Just be sure you get with an experienced revision surgeon.  Good Luck. Beth
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

darnell239
on 3/8/08 8:54 am - Columbia, SC
Just wanted to let you know that you are not in the boat alone.  I've been where you are now and still there.  It is very emotionally difficult to start regaining again after you went through a wls.  I am in the process of fighting for a revision.  I recommend that you visit this board regulary read other's story and read as many of the previous postings as possible.  You will see that there are some new procedures out there to help with weight regain.
txemt372
on 3/8/08 11:42 pm - Ekron, KY
Thanks for all the advise.I don't know if they will do anything for me, my BMI is 26.1. I am trying to get into the mind set that that I am going to be heavy again. I even had a dream the other night that I was as fat as ever. I guess I never thought that my weight would come back and now that I am gaining I feel helpless. I am trying to cut out carbs all together to see if that will help. I just keep thinking I can't go back to what I was. I think that possiblity scares me to death.
beth75
on 3/9/08 8:54 am - Brownsboro, AL
If  your BMI is only 26 then you are probably panicking, but better now then when you have a BMI of 40. Go back to the basics.  I find one of the best things to do is to write down what I eat, make yourself accountable.  Don't drink sugary drinks and try to stay low carb and if you are an RNY, low fat too.  After my RNY and before my revision I worked with a psychiatrist that specialized in eating disorders ( I was a compulsive over eater) and he really helped me with food issues.  You may want to look into something like that, if you are eating too frequently or until you are stuffed.  Fitday is a good place to keep up too because it has a place to write down your emotions that are related with your eating and you might see a pattern.  Just because you have gained some weight back doesn;t mean you are going to become obese again.  Use the board for support and if there are any support groups in your area, get involved.  Don't give up.  A BMI of 26 is healthy.  You are not a lost cause.  Please don't set yourself up for defeat.  Hang in there. Beth
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

Most Active