What exactly does a revision entail?

dsnydi
on 3/5/08 11:13 pm
I am at the beginning of looking into a revision due to serious weight gain since my 1999 open RnY.   What does a the revision procedure involve exactly?   Thanks so much!

Pre-Revision: 228 - I had my second baby Feb. 18, 2009
Current Weight: 186 I had a revision via lap to my RnY on August 18, 2009

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/08 3:56 am - AZ
On March 6, 2008 at 7:13 AM Pacific Time, dsnydi wrote:
I am at the beginning of looking into a revision due to serious weight gain since my 1999 open RnY.   What does a the revision procedure involve exactly?   Thanks so much!
Which revision are you considering? One issue that will be a problem is that you very likely have a great deal of scar tissue that has to be dissected and that does increase potential complications.  So you'll need to be extra sure you go to someone with a LOT of experience in revisions.  People very often really "like" their doctor and they trust him based on personality.  You can't do that and especially with revision.  You have to get down to the hard core facts.  Stats, skill, experience, etc.
skinny_cyndi
on 3/6/08 7:30 am - Mahwah, NJ

There ar emany different types of revision. There is stomaphy, ROSE, REstore, revsiing the original RNY, putting a band over the original RNY, or even going RNY To duodenual switch. I had my original RNY revised due to staple line disruption and an ulcer. The abpve advice is good as well. My surgeon has done over 100 revisions over the last 2 years.  Look on the physician board in here and then call their office and ask lots of questions. Maybe go to one of their seminars. Also there are the ABC's postings DR. Schelsinger has posted on this board which are great to look up, look back a few weeks and I think there were two posts.

KRWaters
on 3/7/08 12:37 am - Manteca, CA
It depends on what you want to be revised to. Okay, I am going for a revision from lap RnY to a duodenal switch (DS). That may be the most extreme case, but I did it wrong the first time and now I want it done right with a proven track record. If you are at all interested in a DS, go to duodenalswitch.com for the most accurate up-to-date information. There are also the other choices someone mentioned or you can go to distal RnY. As you see, there are several choices and you have to do research and check out which one is best for yourself. Good luck,

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

dsnydi
on 3/7/08 12:41 am
Karen, what made you realize that you should have done a DS from the start? The thing is that the only reason I was even thinking about a revision is due to weight gain.  I don't have any issues with my RnY at all.

Pre-Revision: 228 - I had my second baby Feb. 18, 2009
Current Weight: 186 I had a revision via lap to my RnY on August 18, 2009

Monique H.
on 3/7/08 2:32 am
I'm not Karen, but if you go over to the DS board you can read about some of the success rate. What started me wanting that revision is that the average of your excess weight gained back I think is 20%. Not to mention that I have struggled with food choices and the DS allows different choices. Hope this helps some, but my advice would be to go to that forum and read some of the posts and also go to the different member's profiles there and read their journeys.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
KRWaters
on 3/7/08 6:27 am - Manteca, CA
This is Karen and I agree with the other poster, you definitely must park yourself on the DS forum and read the posts and profiles. Those people that have gone before me and rave about the DS,......that is the reason I want to have that euphoria too (which at one time I wanted the euphoria from the RnY). I have also gained like 40 pounds back and diabetes has returned. My sleep apnea never did go away. I was 40 pounds away from my oriignal goal. So I really am just about where I started. I need to lose this 40 pounds and the 40 pounds to get to goal and finally I will be able to say "I have made it!". "I am in control of my weight". DS sounds like the one surgery that can get me there. My local surgeon wanted to do a lapband over the RnY. I started looking into it, but found the DS forum and have not looked ellsewhere. AFter the DS, there is no revision. You are there! Check us out.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/08 6:55 am - TX
I''m not Karen, but a revision from RNY to DS.  The fact that the DS will give you the best long term results and normal eating (you have a smaller, normal stomach) was what sold me.  Higher % of EWL and keeping it off.........forever!
ClareB
on 3/10/08 3:55 am - MA
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/a,messageboard/ac tion,replies/board_id,5360/cat_id,4960/topic_id,3537444/ Dr. Schlesinger:  this is a link to his last posting...if you open it and under his avatar. click on latest postings, it will bring you to more of his posts.... read the above one....it is very informative  good luck 
Most Active