Lapband after RNY

ellton
on 3/5/08 1:55 am

Hi there.  Has anyone had a Lapband inserted as a revisional procedure post RNY?  If so, was it a success? Thanks Tonya

arabgirl
on 3/5/08 3:59 am - cookeville, TN

Tonya It sounds like we could be in the same boat. I too am wondering about lapband after my RNY and a revision. Have you found out any info? If so would you be willing to share the info? suhaila

ellton
on 3/5/08 5:09 am
Definatley.  We are all in this together  My Surgeon and I are trying to figure out the best approach to this revision.  I have a hiatial hernia that  needs to be removed, and my stoma is enlarged.  He just told me today that he can narrow and/or tighten the stoma which is good.  I hope by doing just that will help me lose weight.  i need to lose 50 pounds...ouch   I can't believe I'm here again.... Tonya
Molly O.
on 3/5/08 5:49 am - Oakland, TN
Yep...it is so great I had rny 2002 and lap band over rny 09-2007 Lost almost 35 pounds so far
mychel1017
on 10/31/08 11:34 am
Molly,
I had my RNY in 2000 and just had the lap band over my RNY last Tuesday (10/28/2008).   I lost 66 lbs initially and gained about 40 lbs back.  I need to lose 50 lbs, so 35 over four months sounds great to me.  How have you done since that time?

I had to pay for both myself and am deathly afraid that I will fail agian. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Mychel
Matata 2
on 3/6/08 4:16 am - Minneapolis, MN
Post Date: 3/5/08 11:49 am
I have Lap over RNY. I had the revision done in October and have lost 31 pounds in 4 months. I was having issues due to the rapid movement of food thru my stretched stoma. This has restored the restrictive nature of my wls and it iseems to be working well for me. I want to lose about 50 -60 more pounds.
Matata 2  Pre-op 320/Current 152/Goal 132  
FernTate
on 1/22/09 7:05 am
I would love an update on how you are doing.  I also have a stretched stoma.
melati
on 3/6/08 7:15 am - Miami, FL
There are a few RNY to band on the lapband board. Here is a lady who had the bypass 10yrs ago and is doing great with the band--you may want to contact her:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/mish/
You could also post this question to the lapband forum--I'm sure they will answer.
Binxalways
on 3/9/08 3:05 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Ohmigosh!  I am in the same situation as you!!  I have a hiatal hernia that the surgeon needs to repair, my pouch has stretched, and my stoma is enlarged.  I actually just posted a question about this before I read your post.  I am really torn about what revisional procedure I want to get.  My surgeon's office is trying to find out if the lap band over my existing RNY will be covered by insurance (I can't afford to do it if it isn't).  He told me that if he does a "normal" revision I run the risk of my stoma relaxing again and of course it's possible that my pouch can stretch again.  The lap-band is an enticing option because it is pretty much there for good and can be filled based on need.  Also, if I ever decide to get pregnant again I can have the band loosened.  I am just wondering about the success rate and complications of the band over RNY because it's not the "norm".  If you would be interested I would love to keep in touch with you because we are very much in the same boat!  Would you share any information you get?  I would be more than happy to do the same!   Sincerely, Elizabeth 
ellton
on 3/10/08 3:46 am
Hi Elizabeth.  I have an appt with my Surgeon is 10 minutes.  So far my options are *Band over Bypass and *Tightening of the Stoma along with removing the hernia and lesions.   I'll be in touch! Tonya
Most Active