RNY Revision? (Only lost 30 lbs - very depressed)

Dee63
on 2/26/08 10:17 am
I had my surgery back in 2006 and only lost 30 lbs; I was considered one of the lightweights (at 215), but only 30 lbs? I have been so depressed when I see people who were so much larger than me now are smaller than m e. I have decided that I am going back to my surgeon to see if there are any alternatives and assistance. I still have trouble with eating occasionally and food doesn't always stay down, but I would have expected to at least lose 75 lbs. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there anything that can be done? Thank you so much for your input! Daphne
(deactivated member)
on 2/26/08 11:22 pm - Brampton, Canada
Dee what was your surgery?
Dee63
on 2/27/08 1:37 am
Mine was RNY; done in May 2006. Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 2/26/08 11:23 pm - Brampton, Canada
Oh sorry just noticed it was the rny in your title...definitely go see the surgeon.
Just Valena
on 2/27/08 12:19 am - Nunyabizness

Have you had testing done to see if you have a mechanical failure?

Dee63
on 2/27/08 1:38 am
I scheduled an appt. for Tuesday of next week; I'll let you all know what happened.
hessie28
on 2/27/08 4:04 pm, edited 2/27/08 4:04 pm
I had my surgery in 2002 and lost 165 pounds.  I was 355lbs.   In the beginning the stoma kept closing and I had it stretched open a few times through Endoscopy.  At the time the surgeon used staples.   So I started gaining and was hungry all the time.  In 2005 I had a revision.  This time the surgeon used sutures.  So far so good with that.   After the revision I lost about 30 pounds.   Then in 2006 I had back surgery.     I'm still in a lot of pain.  Can't exercise.  Very limited what I can do.  Can't even walk with the nerve pain.  I am on a lot of meds too with side effects of weight gain.   So I gained back weight.   I have been stable at 242 for the past year.   It is very frustrating.  I am disgusted.   Now I am having pain and nausea.   For the past month it had been bad.   I see the surgeon at 11:00 today to see what needs to be done.  My doctor thinks exploratory surgery to see if the tests missed anything.    No matter how bad I feel and how much pain I am in, the thing that makes me nervous is the Dr. is going to mention my weight again.   It is embarassing.    So I know how you feel.   Good luck with your surgeon.   Oh, I was told when I had the revision not to expect to lose a lot of weight.  Most people only lose about 10 pounds.  I lost 30 which was nice.  The purpose of the revision is to fix the problem.   So that is why you probably don't lose much weight.
Monique H.
on 3/4/08 2:18 am
I'm so curious to know how your appt. went. I have an appt. with Dr. Upadhyay next Tuesday the 11th. I had rny on April 2, 2007 and lost 95 pounds in 6 months, but the weight loss stopped after that. I still need to lose about 100 pounds. If you can please tell me what to expect I would appreciate it.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
ebony_teaches
on 2/29/08 12:48 pm - Baker, LA
Just curious...how tall are you?  You definitely don't seem like you'd qualify for rny at 215lbs.

Ebony_Teaches

highest life time weight 330lbs///  lowest life time weight without surgery 217lbs
weight pre band 292lbs ///  lowest weight with band 232lbs
pre op weight w/ gastric bypass 252lbs
current weight with RNY 195lbs

"Everything is possible for him who believes."   
Mark 9:23

Dee63
on 3/1/08 3:28 pm
I am 5' tall, but they added in the fact that I was a cancer survivor with heart problems. So the combination of factors made my insurance company pay for the procedure. Right now, I am aroun 180, but should be about 105-110 at my height (which is what my doctor keeps on telling me). I would be satisfied at 120. Thanks!
Most Active