Rose Procedure, again

Renee M.
on 2/24/08 12:51 am
I didn't qualify for the Rose procedure because my pouch was half a centimenter too small (it had to be 4 cm)  ... but my stoma was more than enough to qualify...it was 2.5 cm (had to be 1.5 for the study) Did any of you having the Rose or Restore have similar measurements to this and actually get to go through with the procedure, and if you didn't (if you have a large stoma and small pouch) what are you looking into doing to correct your stoma? :(   I already looked into getting a band put over my pouch this summer, but my pouch was too small for that, too.  The Rose thing really upsets me, because I only thought one of the two had to be enlarged - either the stoma or the pouch, and apparently they both have to be big in order to accomodate the tools they use to do the procedure. :(
jcbrwb123
on 2/24/08 7:35 am - NC
Hey, My name is Robin and I am looking for someone who can advise me. I am 4 years out and am gaing my weight back i have gained up to 248 but never got below 211. I have no regrets I was very lucky. I had dumping some but no complications otherwise. My fear I will gain my weight back and my surgeon says go back to basics and stop eating. If I could do that i would not have had the surgery at all, I had the RNY. I have very low Vit. D , my blood sugars go up and down either too high or too low. I stay dizzy alot and all the advice I was given is to go back to basic's and stop eating. I have not lost or gained since last July 2007, but i want something done. I had an upper GI and my pouch is fine they said nothing about enlarged stoma. To get to the point i guess how did you find out about the pouch size and stoma. I pray for you to find someone to do the lap for you if that is what you desire, Have you heard anyhting about being able to do an EGD and tighten the pouch?
grandsonx2
on 2/24/08 7:47 am - TN
hang in there girl! let me tell you, I was in the restore study back in march 07, and it did not work, to me it was a waste of time, but I was willing to try anything,I have heard of people it has worked on, and I am very happy for them, it just didn't work for me, I will let you know though, It was very tough getting accepted into it, and to make you feel better, there is a reason for everything, and something will come up for you, just don't give up, I have been trying to get approved for a revision since sept, and finally got approved , I am talking with a dr in chicago about placing the band over my rny, because I cannot find a dr in tennesse that will do it, you had said you had checked into it for this summer    could you tell me if the dr that was going to place the band over your rny was somewhere here in tennessee, I really want this done, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to travel so far to get it ! you should keep on checking, don't give up just because one doc said he couldn't do it,  there are other docs that have a lot of experience with this, Iknow of two that come highly recommended, they are dr averdy in chicago and dr fielding in ny, it all depends on if you want to travel there or not, plus, the expense of it all.  If this is what you want, your best bet is to stay away from the studys and go for the revision just make sure you research all your options, this board is a great way to get info from ones that have actually been through it, I am knew to this, and they have helped me so much, just by reading the message board, there is a lot of good advice out there,         like i said    HANG IN THERE AND DON"T  GIVE UP
Renee M.
on 2/24/08 9:08 am
Thanks :)  Most Dr's won't do a straight-up revision because they're so risky.. there is nothing to revise "pouch-wise".. it's really tiny.  A band would theoretically work, but since the pouch is only 3 cm long, and the band itself is probably a cm wide, there would be no room for me to eat at all.  I'd have restriction, but would starve to death lol.    So, did you get the actual restore procedure or were you one of the sham people? lol.  Actually, it was a Dr. in Kentucky who was willing to try the band over RNY thing, but I had to have two endoscopes first and it was a pretty drawn out process...lol, like trying to get approved for an RNY all over again.  If you want to know more, private message me on here or whatever and I'll tell ya what ya need to know.
Renee M.
on 2/24/08 9:11 am
lol, and when I'm saying "the pouch" I mean my pouch.  It has managed to stay small.  Somehow over the years, however, I have managed to swallow a whale or something and stretch my stoma to 2/3 the width of my pouch.   Sorry, I had to clarify myself..lol.
mwinters69
on 3/13/08 12:54 am - Nitro, WV
Did you find a surgeon who will place a lap band around your RNY pouch? Thanks, Michelle
Most Active