10% gain all the weight back...I'm one of them

srh_365
on 2/23/08 2:22 pm
I had open RNY with gallbladder removal at the same time in 11-03.  I lost 106 lbs and have now gained it all back.  I went back to my surgeon recently (hadn't seen him for a long time) who told me only 10% gain all the weight back.  He said he knew my pouch had to be stretched out, so no need to test, and referred me to another surgeon to talk about lap band.  I wonder at age 54 if another procedure is what I need, but don't see how I can successfully lose that much weight again by dieting.  I realize I was grazing in the evenings but I never felt full, always hungry.  Nothing ever bothered me after surgery which didn't help either.         Besides not knowing where to start, I am looking for people to visit with that have had this happen.  I am mostly seeing posts from people that have gained a small amount of weight back.  It is very difficult to find information about the "10 %" of us.  My appointment with the other surgeon isn't for another 2 weeks and I want to learn as much as I can.  Thanks.       
pepsi98
on 2/23/08 7:34 pm - Norwich, CT
I had gasreic bypass many, many years ago and gained all but I think 50lbs back (I started at 323). I just had stomaphyx done on Feb 1st and to date I think I've lost somewhere around 15 lbs.  Make sure you do your research...I've read a lot of good things about the duodenal switch revision, but I think the most important thing to realize is that this is YOUR journey and not every surgery/procedure is right for every person.  Find what's right for you and claim your success!!
srh_365
on 2/24/08 6:24 am
Glad to hear you are back losing!  How much recovery time did you need (like to go back to a desk job) and if you don't mind, what did it cost?  I am sure insurance would not pay.  From what I have read so far, it is a very new procedure, but sounds very good because they don't have to do an incision.   Our weights are almost identical.  I got down to 211 and never could hold there.  Pounds started to creep back about 15 months after surgery.  I am in Nebraska and would likely have to travel elsewhere and private pay.       
pepsi98
on 2/24/08 6:51 am - Norwich, CT
It cost $10,500, and no it's not covered by insurance.  The lowest I got to was probably 190 but I sure didn't stay there for long.  I am still battling though...each and every day, and the weekends and evenings are the hardest.  I really only lost one day from work...I think I had a flu or something, but I was fine from the procedure.
srh_365
on 2/24/08 9:21 am
Did you research many Doctors before you chose one, or go to the one you did because you live in the area?   I am anxious to hear how you do.  Besides not being able to eat as much, it sounds like you still have to battle the old demons, exactly when I do.  Are you on a liquid diet for awhile ?  Sorry to ask so many questions.  Like I said in my first post, I can't seem to find people this has happened to.  Thanks for the replies.   
pepsi98
on 2/24/08 6:09 pm - Norwich, CT
No, I really did very little research.  A friend of mine is a bariatric dietician in Philadelphia and she told me about Dr. Shikora at Tufts in Boston.  I think she may have worked with him at one time. So, I made an appointment and he is the one who told me about Stomaphyx.  I walked in and said, "I am the hopeless of the hopeless and I don't even know if you can help me, but here I am."  He explained my 3 options: 1) Stomaphyx (least invasive)   2.) Lapband  and 3) full revision.  I dediced to chance the stomaphyx due to the fact that it is the least invasive but with the understanding that there really wasn't much data on long term results.  While Boston is not close to me it isn't far either.  I take a train and I'm there in like 1 1/2 hours.   I was on liquids the first 2 weeks and then advanced to soft, moist meats, protein shakes, eggs, cottage cheese etc and that is what I'm on now.  I also try to go to the gym 3 or more times a week.  If you read through some of the posts, you'll find that I've done a lot of posting. Good luck!
SophieGrace
on 2/24/08 11:34 pm - IL
If you have insurance, there is no reason you should have to self pay for WLS or a revision. I have successfully challenged two separate insurance policies and won, despite the fact that both had exclusions. I've seen LAWYERS on this site who gave up and self paid.  Why on earth would you not try and then just shell out many thousands of dollars?  I don't get it. Do NOT let insurers get away with this.  Most people back down without a fight.  But if you could get your surgery by using an obesity lawyer, why wouldn't you try?  The consultations are free.  I think the highest fee that you could pay is $1,100.   Don't quote me on that, but I know the initial fee is around $400.   I am not paid to endorse these people, nor have they asked me to, nor do I receive any sort of compensation for doing so.  I simply have used them and know their services work. www.obesitylaw.com

SophieGrace 

Ms. Cal Culator
on 2/25/08 11:43 pm, edited 2/25/08 11:45 pm - Tuvalu
I had the band placed when I was "almost 55" and had it removed and revised to the DS when I was "almost 59."  I remember my band-related eating restrictions and I have many friends with RnY.  I cannot imagine a life where I had to make every meal decision based on two sets of dietary restrictions. I had the band revised to the DS.  I have lost about 120 pounds from my highest...I need to lose about 25-30 more.  But now I'm just a chubby old lady, who eats normal food and who needs a brachioplasty.  Please look at ALL of your options, not just the most heavily advertised. Sue ETA...I paid for my band; my insurance paid for my revision.
srh_365
on 2/27/08 10:08 am
Sue, I never thought of having two sets of eating restrictions, that is a major consideration.  There is plenty of advertising and will be nothing but more.  It's awesome you are so close to where you want to be!  I hope someday to be in the same position.    
Most Active