Carbonated Drinks

goldilocksinnc
on 2/23/08 9:46 am - Jacksonville, NC
What do you guys think about carbonated drinks and their effect on weight gain?  Can they stretch the stoma or pouch.  My surgeon (I had lap RNY in 7/05 and have regained about 30 lbs) told me that as long as I could burp that diet soda should not be a problem, but since I am a Diet Mountain Dew addict, I am beginning to wonder if they have contributed to my weight gain. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated Susan
Deanne K.
on 2/23/08 10:51 am - Tucson, AZ
Susan, According to my surgeon, it does expand your stomach. She used the test.  Take a 2 liter bottle of soda and let it set open for 7 days, then put a balloon on it and it will still inflate, think how it could expand your stomach.   Do you want to risk that?  Just a thought.  Every surgeon has differing opinions on this issue as I am sure many people on the board will too.
goldilocksinnc
on 2/23/08 10:57 am - Jacksonville, NC
Deanne, Thanks for your reply.  What you are saying does make since.  I was also noticing that our weight before surgery is about the same as well as how low we both got down after our surgery.  Are you as depressed as I am over the weight gain?  I havee gained about 35 lbs from my lowest weight of 185 and I feel like I am just as large as I was pre-surgery.
Deanne K.
on 2/23/08 11:30 am - Tucson, AZ
Yes, I can relate to your depression.  I have struggled with that since I stopped losing over 2 years ago.  It took me 16 months to hit the century club, but then I started immediately to gain weight.  I am now up about 25 pounds and I know that my health cannot take the weight gain.  I feel so defeated in this process right now.  I am looking into a revision with Dr. Schlesinger as my surgeon only wanted to do a lap band over the enlarged stoma.  She will only consider it if I can lose the weight before she will do the surgery.  I only had to lose 5 pounds, but it has gone the other direction and she feels that I am not dedicated to lose it.  In my opinion I feel that she has just been putting me off since she is the only surgeon again in her office.  She really doesn't want to do revisions of any kind and I know that I am not the only one here of her patients.  Don't get me wrong, she is a great surgeon and top in the field, but  I have to see the GI doctor before my PCP will support me to go see Dr. Schlesinger again.  My GI doc was the one who figured out that I had enlarged stoma, not the surgeon's office as they didn't believe it was a problem, they did back peddle when I had proof of the problem.  My GI is one of the few doctors who will see bypass patients.  I only wanted someone who knew wha they were looking at and he does.   I am here gathering the facts to be ready to talk more with my PCP and inform myself of what the options are. Let's all keep our chins up and love ourselves enoguh to be informed people.
goldilocksinnc
on 2/24/08 1:15 am - Jacksonville, NC
I wish you all the best in your endeavors!  Maybe I can find out some information to address my issues when I see my surgeon next week. Thanks! Susan
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/08 10:56 pm - Brampton, Canada
I had stomach stapling back in 1987, we were not told then to not have carbonated drinks.  Now I am 22 months out from Lapband surgery and while I could drink carbonate I do not because it does effect your stomach and not worth the chance or recommended. 
sheilashoppps
on 2/24/08 3:09 pm - williamston, SC
Will Insurance pay for REVISIONS? I have gained 35 pounds and am interested in getting this done, as I am fighting this weight battle AGAIN!
Ruesnod
on 2/27/08 2:15 pm - Pima, AZ

Susan, Stay away from soda!  I made that mistake and my doctor flat out told me in August.  Stop drinking them, they will ruin your pouch.  It's as simple as that.  I have selective hearing and honestly don't remember hearing that before my surgery, I thought it was just that the sugar was bad, but now I find out that i might have done damage to my pouch, all for soda. It really isn't worth it.

Most Active