Fistula after RNY?

danilee30
on 2/28/08 11:41 pm - PIttsburgh, PA
Thanks Kathy for replying.   I am not sure exactly what was done in 1998, I was with the doctor for about an hour with so many questions, but it could have been what she had done.  I am going to call the office today and ask again. Funny you should mention the diet soda, I am addicted to diet mt dew and I am actually now down to one can of diet soda per day, I am going to be out, so I plan on cutting it out ahead of time.  I want to take full advantage of whatever I can this time.  It is 10 yrs later and I am now doing this for all of the right reasons. I have enjoyed talking to you and will keep you in the loop, I hope you do the same. Next week I have a cardio, pulmonary and nutrional consult, I also have to see the plastic surgeon b/c of hernias.  I have my class with the dr on the 13th and a sleep study on the 20th. I am just ready to have this repaired and move forward. Keep in touch. Danna
Strive2Bthin
on 2/29/08 12:02 am - Webster, TX

Hi, My friend had the same problem and stuggled with it for a whole year.  In the end, the only thing that worked was that they glued the fistula shut thru an EGD into the pouch....no surgery  was needed and it worked like a charm.  You can go to a gastrologist to have it done.

Good Luck! 

Teri

danilee30
on 4/2/08 11:48 am - PIttsburgh, PA
Hi Kathy, I wanted to touch base with you and see what if you had any updates.  I am actually waiting for insurance approval for my revision.  I have had all insurance requirements sent in, a stress test, a sleep study, blood work and everything else.  I am tenatively scheduled for 4/21/08 dependant on the approval. I did have the choice of have the fistula repaired and leaving my original procedure which was not an RNY or have the fistula repaired and a revision to the RNY procedure used today.  I decided on the second.  My surgery will be open regardless and I am going to take advantage of starting over.  I have lost about 50 lbs since June, so I am not at my original weight, but I was higher in June. All of my tests came back well and I was not even diagnosed with apnea which thrills me. I am so ready for this surgery and starting over.  The surgeon determined that I possibly could have had the fistula for as long as 8 or 9 yrs.  It was 2001 when I told my original surgeon that I could eat too much and he just belittled me. Please let me know what is going on with you and I will keep ou up to date.  Hope all is well. Danna
Debra H.
on 3/3/09 9:46 am - Palm City, FL
I went through that in 2004 (See "My Journey Through Hell".  I was unable to eat anything & could drink little.  Sick beyond words.  Surgery was end of Sept 2004. First hospitalization they smirked at me.  After a special barium test at the end of November the doctor told me I needed a more invasive surgery.  I remember feeling a burning pain on my left side.  Surgery fixed me up though and I began eating in mid-January.  That barium caught up with me though!  Caused a severe blockage - imagine that - no food where was it supposed to go?  You're lucky you haven't had any symptoms.  Some people say they gained weight. - I nearly starved to death.  Good luck - it should improve things.
Most Active