Lap-Band & Distal Revision????

Binxalways
on 2/22/08 11:26 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
My original RNY in 2002 was a very conservative, proximal bypass.  I had an upper GI done, and it revealed that I have a hiatal hernia of the pouch (my pouch has pushed it's way thru my diaphragm, so part of it is in my chest cavity, the other part is in my adbdominal cavity.)  My surgeon also said my pouch is very large, so when my surgeon fixes the hiatal hernia, he was going to put a Lap-Band over my existing RNY.  My question, is it possible to have the lap band put on AND have him bypass more intestine?  My stoma is fine, so I don't want that altered at all.  I would like the restriction of the lap-band with some additional malabsorption of additional intestine bypassed.  I see my surgeon again on 2/27 so I will definitely ask him, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible or has had it done?  Thanks a bunch!! Sincerely, Elizabeth
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/27/08 8:31 pm - Knoxville, TN
I dont have a large pouch my Gastronologist said mine was about the size of my fist....however I do have a hiatal hernia on mine and not sure what that means as to if that is the reason I am not able to lose even when I am watching what I am eatng and being careful.  I found out the my insurance will indeed pay for WLS if it is medically necessary ...do you think that having the Hiatal hernia on the pouch would make it medically necessary?
Most Active