Anyone had revsion because of Gastro Gastric Fistula?

Ruesnod
on 2/20/08 10:48 pm - Pima, AZ
I just had and endoscopy done and found out that I have a gastro gastric fistula.  This explains why I'm hungry all the time and why I have wicked bad acid reflux.  I've been searching the internet for treatment, and it looks like there is really only one option.  To go back in and re-do it, but also take out the old stomach. I'm willing to do whatever it takes, but I'm surprised that it is going to be that much work.  My Dr. is waiting for the results of my PH test before we start talking about treatment. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation?
SophieGrace
on 2/21/08 3:08 am - IL
Yep.  I had that, with staple-line disruption.  Regained all my weight as I tried in vain to find a surgeon who would correctly diagnose me.   I had the killer reflux and a huge nasty ulcer.  Had the gastrectomy and a revision of my RNY two weeks ago.  Down only 10 pounds, but I'll take whatever I can get. I'm doing fine, but I had one of the best of the best.  It was worth going to Dr. Herron in NYC. 

SophieGrace 

Ruesnod
on 2/21/08 9:49 pm - Pima, AZ
Were they able to do this orthoscopically?  What kind of recovery do you have.  I know it's only been two weeks, but how close to 100% are you?  I too have an awesome surgeon who has done the most revisions in our state, so I'm definitely confident in his abilities.  I just can't stand waiting and not knowing what my possible treatments are.
JRinAZ
on 2/22/08 6:35 am - Layton, UT
Just curious? Stats on Dr. Simon doing the most revisions in AZ?  I'll bet Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Juarez, Dr. Simpson and Dr. Blackstone might wonder where the info came from?  I know all of them do some form of revision....Dr. Simpson is Band over Rny only though. I've heard Dr. Simon is a very good surgeon and have many friend's who have had him for their first surgery but when doing my research for my own reivision, I found Dr. Schlesinger to have the most comprehensive Revision program with the most options for individualized success.  In fact, when I called Dr. Simon's office to ask about their program, they said they didn't even have support groups and that he doesn't do many revisions?  Have they changed? .....just wondering, cuz I'm sure other's take note on "revision" info on this forum. I wish you all the best with your Revision.  It's been an amazing journey for me so far! ...an AZ neighbor and finally close to my goal weight! (New Territory!!!) Joyce
monicalindquist
on 2/21/08 10:10 am - Euless, TX
I also had a gasto-gastric fistula and had a revision done to repair it.  I did not have a gastrectomy, though.  My stomach is still in there floating around in order to meet up at the "y" and aide in digestion.  I was also found to have bile reflux esophagitis that was causing a lot of nausea.  That problem was also solved at the time of my revision.  Dr. Boe, who is at Barix in Philadelphia is the one that fixed me up!  He is awesome!
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/08 6:44 pm - TX

Yes, I had that and stoma enlargement.  If you read this board, you'll see that it's a common problem with the RNY.

I had revision to the DS to avoid problems such as these in the future.

SophieGrace
on 2/21/08 9:48 pm - IL
Whether or not your "old" stomach needs removed is a matter for the surgeon to decide. In my case, it was not worth trying to save it.  Besides the fistula, I had ulcers, exposed staples, and sutures from something (no idea).  They tell me it was an utter mess.  Leaving it would have simply created more problems than it was worth. You need to leave such decisions to your surgeon.  Ask a lot of questions beforehand.  It may not be necessary to remove it, but only a qualified surgeon can determine that based on what sort of damage is present.

SophieGrace 

Most Active