Saw new surgeon about revision....now depressed even more

Beachbumm
on 2/20/08 4:47 am - Someplace, LA
Hi I went to see a surgeon who specializes in revisions here in South Louisiana.  Anyhow, I had a LOT of complications as a result of my RNY back in 2002 and I told him about those....(I mean, I thought I was doing the right thing by being honest).  Well, he told me that "it doesn't sound very appealing to want to operate on you" due to the fact that I had complications the first time.  Well, hellOOO, it wasn't MY fault that I had complications!  I had an abdominal abscess and was readmitted to the hospital after 3 weeks post op for severe dehydration because we found out the stoma was basically closed off.  They had to dilate me two times......I didn't realize this was all MY fault. So, the surgeon said he would do an endoscopic procedure to look at my pouch to check the size and the stoma size and go from there.  Well, he already said he didn't want to operate on me so why am I even bothering to do the endoscopy?   I am so depressed now. Thanks, I had to vent. Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
Proud Military Mom
on 2/20/08 5:07 am - Reno, NV
I would just hang in there have the test done and then see what he says... he may find that he can do the revision and not have the same complications you had first time around.  If he didnt want to he would have sent you packing instead of wanting to do tests... Good Luck Debby

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

Beachbumm
on 2/20/08 5:19 am - Someplace, LA
Debby Thanks for your support.  You are right, he doesn't have to do anything if he doesn't want to.  I just feel so embarrassed because I started crying when I was telling him about my complications and I was like (sobbing) saying "I just don't want to gain this weight back...."  (sob sob).... LOL  I feel so stupid now. Oh well, I tried. Thanks again Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
JRinAZ
on 2/20/08 5:44 am - Layton, UT
Bummer Lorri!!! You may want to follow through with the requested tests though so you can have them ready for a surgeon who WILL do surgery on you. Southwest has great plane deals to Arizona!  *wink, wink*  You wouldn't be the first patient who's flown clear across the world to have his expertise. Joyce in az BTW.....strictures after WLS aren't that big of a complication.  ....  Probably a good thing he's not willing to op on you.  You NEVER want a surgeon who isn't absolutely positive they can handle it!
Beachbumm
on 2/20/08 9:21 pm - Someplace, LA
Joyce Thanks for the support!  The people here are too kind, which is why I love yall!  I didn't look at it that way and you are right, I really DON"T want a surgeon that isn't really positive about the procedure!  He just gave me a bad vibe is all.  I told him about my abscess that I had after the first surgery and he made a face which made me feel like he was looking at me like "gross".  I'm a registered nurse, so I know that it isn't my fault I had an abdominal abscess as well as the strictures etc. Hmmm, AZ is looking pretty good right now!  LOL I will let you know what happens! Thanks for the support! Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
happy girl
on 2/20/08 11:57 am
Lorri, I agree with Joyce. I would go ahead and have the endoscopy done, because that is basically the first test on the road to Revision Land.  If you have it done, and find a surgeon who will do your revision, you will have some information ready for them, he/she will have a starting point. They might want to redo the test (some docs like to do their own endoscopies), but they have a place to start..OR you could find that there isn't a mechanical problem, which is good too...it is, because you don't want another surgery.  But either way, you should have an answer. As for a surgeon, remember revisions can be tricky, don't just go to anybody ok?  You are worth more than that, you need a great surgeon, someone *****ally wants to help you. good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Beachbumm
on 2/20/08 9:26 pm - Someplace, LA
Reese GREAT information!  THANKS!!!  I feel better now, knowing that at least I have a starting point!  I will go ahead with the endoscopy and then if the doctor still acts unsure, I will at least have my stoma and pouch measurements!  You are right, I don't exactly want to have surgery again, that's for sure!! I just really don't want to gain this weight back!!! Again, thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement and great advice.  I will certainly keep it all in mind for sure! Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
ebony_teaches
on 2/20/08 8:33 pm - Baker, LA
OH Lorri so sorry about your news.  Who was the surgeon if you don't mind me asking.  There are so many here in Baton Rouge.  You know my story. I"m a revision and I am 2 months post op and only down 20lbs.  I could scream!!  We've got to hang in there. Something's gotta change for the better for the both of us.  Don't give up. Get a second opinion Kiddo!!  Thinking of you!   Ebony

Ebony_Teaches

highest life time weight 330lbs///  lowest life time weight without surgery 217lbs
weight pre band 292lbs ///  lowest weight with band 232lbs
pre op weight w/ gastric bypass 252lbs
current weight with RNY 195lbs

"Everything is possible for him who believes."   
Mark 9:23

Beachbumm
on 2/20/08 9:18 pm - Someplace, LA
Ebony Hey!  Actually, it was Dr. Warden and I think he is based in Covington?  But he has an office here in Baton Rouge off of O'neal Lane (by Ochsner).  Well, I agree with you that SOMETHING has to change for us!  LOL  YOU hang in there too ok!!!  BTW, you look great!  I know though that you want to be healthy and feel good for yourself and YOU CAN do it!!!! Thanks for writing!    Lorri
Lorri
RNY 5/27/2002
249/119/160
ebony_teaches
on 2/21/08 9:22 am - Baker, LA
Is his name Clark Warden?  That name sounds really familiar.  Just wondering if he's in the office with Dr. Lavin considering they both have an office in Covington and in BR off of Oneal.  What about stomaphyx ? are you a candidate for that?  I need to have a back up plan myself, considering that I eat until my stomach hurts.  I'm eating too fast.  By the time i get the signal that i'm full, i'm in pain because i've eaten too much. That scares me!  I don't want to have to have a 3rd revision!!  Anyways, thanks for the compliment.  It's definitely about me being healthy.  This is a true fight and it's not easy.  So many people think that it is.  They figure oh hey they've had gastric bypass they'll be skinny in no time.  I don't want to be a failure at rny like I was with the lap band.  So many people know that I had the lapband and failed with it.  I just don't want anyone to say how in the world could she have failed with gastric bypass??????  I've been eating crawfish alot lately since it's protein and no fat...maybe we can find a crawfish hole in between prairieville and baton rouge.... take care!   Ebony

Ebony_Teaches

highest life time weight 330lbs///  lowest life time weight without surgery 217lbs
weight pre band 292lbs ///  lowest weight with band 232lbs
pre op weight w/ gastric bypass 252lbs
current weight with RNY 195lbs

"Everything is possible for him who believes."   
Mark 9:23

Most Active