Jumping into the deep end....

Sarah76010
on 2/18/08 8:59 am - Mansfield, TX
Dear Friends: I was a member of this board in 2000 - at that time, I got into a blind rush and within 120 days got it into my mind to have an RnY, found a Doctor, got approved, and had the surgery. Needless to say - although I got what I "wanted", I wasn't prepared for it. The surgery went without complications, but as I was one of the this particular Dr's largest patients, he made my pouch extrememly big. So, between my lack of compliance and what I perceived to be mechanical failure, I didn't do well with this surgery. I was 284 when I had the surgery in 2000, I'm about that same weight now. (by the way, I'm 5' 9") Well, I believe everything happens for a reason - so here's my story/question - support and gentle advice welcome. Six weeks ago, my hubby (who didn't want me to get the surgery in the first place, and didn't want me to get a revision), said he had heard some commercials for Dr. Wade Barker in the Dallas area (where we live). He said maybe it was time for me to get my stomach "fixed"... Long story VERY short, I got a referral from my PCP, and I've got an appointment next week to see Dr. Barker. I believe my head is clearer about what to expect, and I have addressed many, if not most, of the issues related to why I eat (I'm a head eater, not a hunger eater). Luckily, I was able to get my medical records faxed to me, but I have NO idea what to ask Dr. Barker - I feel so IGNORANT How does a Bariatric Dr. decide what procedure is best? What questions do I need to ask? I think, from what I've read, that a D/S would be best, but can he do that with what's left in my body from the RnY? Any help would be appreciated.

"You can make a life, or you can make excuses, but you can't do both."

Considering weight loss surgery? Check out the DS first!!
www.dsfacts.com

Deanne K.
on 2/18/08 10:41 am - Tucson, AZ
Go down a page or so on this forum and you will see Dr. Schlesinger's ABC's of revision posts.  In the one he did a couple of weeks ago may be helpful in answering some of your questions.
Sarah76010
on 2/18/08 11:53 am - Mansfield, TX
Deanne,  Thanks! I've read most of the posts; I think what I'm looking for now is the "human touch" - advice, comments and responses from folks who've "been there, done that". smz
JRinAZ
on 2/18/08 12:38 pm - Layton, UT
Hi Sarah! I was in your boat about 3 years ago (I had my proximal Rny in 2003).....looking for something to "fix" me.   I first researched having the silastic ring placed at the top of my pouch but didn't find enough cases to justify it.  I also heard that the back up eventually caused severe GERD. I then decided on being banded over my Rny and went through the process of trying to get approval through insurance.   I was denied twice so the surgeon I was working with then sent me off to a gastroentenologist who specializes in schlerotherapy (a chemical is injected into your stoma area and scar tissue builds up to aid in reducing the opening).  I went through a couple of tests that she required and then finally she told me that she had only done SIX patient's before and all six had failed.  She had done several attempts with each.  Insurance would not cover it and so I ruled out schlerotherapy since supposedly she was supposed to be the most experienced in this half of the U.S.!  I also gave up my on being banded over Rny because all the support sites I would hunt through had very few successful Revision to bandsters on them. My next plan was stomaphyx which I was all scheduled to have (needing to lose about 40 pounds), when I started having some medical issues that required opening me up and I cancelled the stomaphyx and had the Bariatric surgeon revise me to Distal (I guess i"m actually an extended Rny since I have just a 50 cm common channel).  I had researched DS and was very interested in having that done but was advised by a couple of docs that it would be more complicated and risky than my body should go through and that the Distal would provide the same outcome (same lower plumbing and malabsorption). .........sorry....I only know LONG answers!  Anyway....that's my long winded process of how I made my decision.  I think the key is to RESEARCH!  Don't be in a hurry and find the best procedure for your body!  Hop around the different O.H. forums and see where people are having successes.  The lapband forum had some revision to band, the DS forum, the grad forum.....etc.  Googling deudenol switch revision and Distal revisions gives you some great surgeon's sites that give detailed comparisons. Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Sarah76010
on 2/18/08 7:55 pm - Mansfield, TX
JRinAZ, Thanks! Don't worry about the long answer - that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for here - experiences, information from peers, etc. I think that's my confusion - I was a little traumatized by the whole thing, and I can't  remember whether I was a proximal or distal RnY, so I don't know where I'm even starting from. I guess that's question number one for the Dr. - what AM I? ::smiling::  Thanks again!
Most Active