LAPBAND TO LAP RNY

asubb0225
on 2/16/08 8:39 am
Hello, my name is Michele and i had a lapband in 2004. I only lost arond 75 pounds, never reached my goal weight. the lap band started making sick, i had terrible relux,i would up from a deep sleep choking and vomiting thru my nose. Needless to say i went in and just got a total unfill because i could not get adjusted comfortably,I was always too tight and my esophocus became enlarged and it was just a painful situation. the new insurance that i had did not cover any bariatric services at all, but United healthcare bought the company that i work for, so now i have UHC (choice plus), i went to see a surgeon that does the Lap RNY and she has already submitted paperwork to try to get me approved for a revision becaused i have gained all my weight back plus some.BMI>40,it is very depressing . i hope Uhc does not make me go thru a lot to get approved, i don't think i could handle that. i regret ever getting the Lap band in the first place. i get so updset when i see those commercial advertising the lapband because they aint all that. it does not take away your appetite , heck, i stayed hungry, but whatever i ate came back up  my nose. i am glad that i found this forum to know that others have experienced the same thing. i felt like such a failure. is there any one there that has UHC? are they good about approving?
darnell239
on 2/16/08 9:00 am - Columbia, SC
Sorry, to hear about all the problems you had with the lapband.  If it  helps any there are many people who has had problems with the lapband.  I don't know anything about your insurance but I think you should have sucess with insurance because your BMI >40 and you had health problems with the lapband.  Hope this helps.
LizMoore
on 2/16/08 11:45 pm - San Diego, CA

I also had lapband in 2004 and have had then same problem's as you have been having,,I have UHC choice plus and I got approved for Lapband Removal and RNY,,my surgery is tomorrow I have had UHC for 11 1/2 yr's

Lapband works for some people,,people like u and me have had problem's,,when they tighten my band the opening close's shut,,I could have a popsicle at 8pm and be throwing it all up at 11pm when I lay down to go to bed,,for me it wasnt the right choice,,for other's it is

asubb0225
on 2/17/08 2:30 am
Thank you both for your replies. it really does help to know that othrs share the same story, i don't feel like i was the only one anymore. Hopefully  i will get approved and Dr.Capehart  in Dallas,Texas can get me back on track with my new tool. lol. Good luck to you Liz on your revision tommorow,keep us posted.
Flor_Bellas
on 2/17/08 5:45 am - Miami, FL
Hi Michele, I have UHC (PPO) and they have approved me for revision.  However, I am awaiting UHC to work out a contract with the local hospital.  Good luck in your journey, keep us posted. -Maria
Dee J.
on 2/17/08 1:36 pm
Hi Michelle I also had the band mine was in 2003, I did well with band for 2.5 yrs and then I started having the same issues that you were experiencing. My new surgeon advised that I get a revision to the RNY. I too have regained all that I had lost plus some. My surgery date is set for Feb 27th, I had many issues with my insurance but my husband is in the Navy and Tricare denies everyone but with appeals they finally said yes. Goodluck with your fight and keep us posted,  Dee
James G.
on 2/17/08 9:27 pm - Eden Valley, MN
Michelle, I was going to get the Lap band and then a friend who had it, had to have it removed. Then I didn't know what to do. I liked what the band offered, like the minimally invasive part. But I didn't want the slippage and other problems that you hear of. Also the weight loss isn't the best, long term. So then I was all set up to get the RNY and thought this is about all there is, so go with it.  Then I looked on this website to see what else is out there. After looking at all of the procedures and considering the Plus's and Minus's I changed my idea on the RNY. I am going to go after the DS procedure. That is if the insurance OK"s it. I am not telling anyone this is the best for them. It looks like it is what I have been looking for. I have a BMI over 54 and Diabetes. Both of which DS is geared for the higher BMI people and people have the DS for diabetes even if they are not overweight. That says a lot if people have this procedure just for the diabetes improvement. Not to mention no dumping. Best total weight loss and best long term keeping it off. Also you can eat larger portions and if you take oral medication for arthritis or whatever, it is not a problem. Malabsorption has to be addressed with DS. Vitamins and supplements for the rest of your life are mandatory. RNY has a lot of good features and there are many happy people with all types of WLS.  Do what is best for you.  You have to live with it.  I wish you the best.
Jim G.,   
OLD INFO:Now I finally broke the 300 lb mark 89 Pounds lost in 120 days !  
New info: Now 130 pounds lost and 2 years out.  Weight around 245 lbs.
My loving wife, Robin had DS Sept. 30, 2008 and has lost about 130 lbs. also.  Hey, thats 260 lbs. lost together.  We lost a person in there somewhere.

JRinAZ
on 2/18/08 12:16 pm - Layton, UT
Hi there Jim G.! I totally love the way you have expressed yourself in your posts....not puting any procedure down but explaining your decision for DS!!!!  The point I get loud and clear is to research, and then research some more until you find the procedure that meets your individual needs! I wish you the very best with your insurance quest!  Keep us posted!  I'd love to hear about your new healthy journey!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 2/17/08 10:04 pm - 128 Belt, MA
your symptoms sound like I could have written your post!   my band has a leak somewhere and I am not getting it fixed for that reason. 18 mos it was good, but after that I had difficulties finding th right fill level.   I am going for RNY when my new insurance takes effect in May or June. Stay well. Joan
asubb0225
on 2/17/08 10:13 pm
thank you all for your replies.  i wish you all the best in your quest for a slimmer life, we all deserve it. it gets very frustrating at times. this body feels like i am being held captive inside of someone else, and the real me is fighting to come out. i am very upset right now, when i think of how i went thru all of this before the band and now bwcause of the band i'm going thru this all over again. UGH!
Most Active