REVISION FROM RNY PROXIMAL TO DISTAL MALABSORPTION QUESTION??

ddam7
on 2/14/08 9:52 pm - crystal lake, IL
Hi all, does anyone know if the RNY proximal to distal is just as good  as DS for malabsorption of calories because i am going to have a revision but dont know which surgery to get? Any advise please?
~~Sami~~ *.
on 2/14/08 11:06 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I know that both are quite successful.  I don't know if the Distal RNY works like the DS in terms of "DS Math."  (DSers absorb only 20% of the fat they consume, and 40-60% (can't remember which) of the protein, but 100% of the carbs.) You might want to see if Vitalady knows, as she has lived with a distal RNY for 10+ years.  I know she's on the DS board a lot. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

sopralto
on 2/15/08 10:21 am - WA

I believe a DS is better vitamin absorption wise. I had a revision from RNY to DS and asked the surgeon if I just had a distal RNY now and he said no, this is different because different parts of the small intestine come in contact with your food and they absorb differently (the duodenum, jejunum and .....ilium?) My surgery left the RNY pouch intact. It is an unusual surgery and not common, but I have colored pictures that show where each part of the small bowel is located now. I'm just repeating our conversation and can't give you particulars because it is too complicated to explain.

S Andrews
on 2/15/08 2:33 pm - eatonville, WA
I'm confused- please forgive me! I read your story and it said you had RNY then had Stomaphyx in Sept 2007. I was under the impression that DS meant Duodinal switch. The reason I am asking is because I have been tossing it around between the two and would love to know if you had the stomaphyx and do you feel it was a great success for you. I live in Wa also and have been contemplating surgeons up here or getting in contact with Dr. S in Arizona like Joyce had suggested. Thanks Sharon
S Andrews
on 2/15/08 2:37 pm - eatonville, WA
Sorry! I didn't see the part at the very top of the page!
sopralto
on 2/16/08 12:38 am - WA
I will tell you my story in all its embarrassing details. I had an RNY in 1992, regained all my weight. Had bowel revision to DS---(RNY pouch remained the same) in 2006 lost 70lbs, still needed to lose about 40lbs but stuck for 6 months. Had stomaphyx and lost absolutely nothing (oh--lost 8 lbs then regained, seemed to go down 2 sizes but was back to the same size in about 2 months) I spent $8,000 on stomaphyx and lost nothing essentially. I just had a lower body lift 2 weeks ago and the surgeon removed 18lbs. I seem to be losing weight again, and can't fit as much in my pouch. I have no idea if Stomaphyx made my pouch smaller or if I was eating foods that are too soft. Too much going on in my life to analyze what I am eating. Except with the PS I feel too tight and uncomfortable to eat much.
darnell239
on 2/16/08 3:50 am - Columbia, SC
Sopralto, I am so glad to see you on the board again!  I was wondering how things went with your stomaphx.  In your opinion do you think the stomaphx is worth it?  I know that is a loaded question but I need to know.  I am in such a "funk" right now.  I've regained most of my weight post surgery.   In the state of SC there are no surgeons who perform revisions.  I want to have after care close to home in case something happens (I'm a believer in Murphy's law).  I looked at some surrounding states but the problem is getting an office staff who seems to really want to work with me and getting me insurance approved.  Many I have found seem to want to hurry me off the phone or tell me all the obstacles I will face with insurance.  Financially, I can't afford to self pay or have doctors make me jump alot of hoops and spend my money to then tell me they can't help me (read my profile and you'll know what I'm talking about).  I know I sound like a complainer but would like your opinion about the stomaphx.
criddle0103
on 3/3/08 4:13 am, edited 3/3/08 4:13 am - Conover, NC
Hello, Have you considered Dr. Roc Bauman in Concord, NC?  The staff at Carolina Weightloss Surgery is great!  Just an idea! Dr. Bauman is doing my revision next Monday (March 10th). Good luck, Crystal
darnell239
on 3/3/08 5:14 am - Columbia, SC
Actually, I had a consultation appointment with Bauman last month.  I am in the process of getting everything that he requires together so that I can get insurance approval.  Right now I am waiting on getting a date to have an endoscopy done.  Why are you seeking a revision?  Did he by chance state how much he would bypass you?  He told me he would give me a 100 cm bypass.  He also stated that he wouldn't use the band around the stoma (which is what I want).  Hope to hear back from you soon.
ShielaC.
on 3/17/08 1:01 pm, edited 3/17/08 1:02 pm

Sopralto:  It is unclear from your message here or from your profile, if you had the RNY to DS  revision BEFORE or AFTER you had the Stomaphyx.   Could you please clarify?

Most Active