ABC's of Revision

Dr.Schlesinger
on 2/2/08 9:50 pm
Sandra, I will be covering some of your questions in the next installment. Without a measurement of pouch width, it is impossible to determine how much your pouch has "stretched". The outflow of your pouch, the cross sectional area of your stoma is 4 times larger than it was when it was constructed. This is not an uncommon finding. Obviously this significantly reduces the restrictive component of your Rny. Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
Arizona_Sun
on 2/3/08 12:18 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thank you Dr. Schlesinger.  I will watch for your next installment.  Unfortunately the gastro doc only measured length and not width. When I see him next time I will inquire about what his impression was of the width.  My impression from food intake is that my pouch is not overly large.  I also have never had an issue with anything becoming "stuck" at the stoma so can believe that there is less restriction there.   Sandra

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/08 1:55 am - Brampton, Canada
Thanks for posting Doc, as you can see by my signature I am thrilled with my revision to lapband.
Tamara S.
on 2/3/08 9:44 am, edited 2/3/08 9:46 am - Chicago, IL
It was so refershing to have this information clearly spelled out from a medical or physicians perspective. I am seriously entertaining the thought of revision surgery.   I had a classic RNY in Sept. of 2001, 7 months later I had a drastic devistation occur in my life.  My mother suddenly passed away and I platued instantly.  I have toggle up or down 5-10 lbs. since then.  I weight 323 (after a 10lb wgt loss prior to surgery)  at the start of the surgery and had managed to get as low as 242 (at the time of my mother's death).  I am current 254 and have been this at this weight since 2003.  I am happy to know that this option is out there.  I am going through Midwest Bariatics with Dr. Cahill.  The picture to the left shows the weight that I have been since 2003.  This picture was taken 2 months later. I will be diligently awaiting each week's post to obtain the knowledge needed to forth with this procedure.  I think I deserve to be health both mentally and physically.  The loss of my mother affected me mentally which in turn affected my weight loss and my body physically.  Thanks for provding the answers I need to move forward with this procedure. TSC
Deanne K.
on 2/5/08 3:00 am - Tucson, AZ
Dr. Schlesinger, Thanks for the overview that I can take to my physician to also explain the procedures.  I know you said he could always call you for questions.   Thanks again,
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 10:23 am - TX
Dr. Schlesinger, do you perform the DS?
Dr.Schlesinger
on 2/5/08 10:25 pm
Starry1st, Yes, I do perform the DS. Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS AZ Weight Loss Solutions
karenp956
on 2/12/08 1:24 pm - Brownsville, TX
Dr. Schlesinger,        I traveled to Houston in '99 for a vertical banded gastroplasty (VBG).  Dropped from 225 to 160 but nine years later, at age 63, I am at 190.  BMI is at 35 and I am not having any medical problems.  However, I am so afraid that I am heading back to the 225.  I am only 5'1" and I don't like the way I look or feel at 225.  Why am I gaining if all is still intact?  Has my pouch stretched?  Do I need a revision?  How do I determine if I need one?  Is a VBG the same as the "sleeve" you talk about?  Is a "lap band "a conceivable type of revision at this point?  Dr. Horace T. Robbins did my surgery but retired 3 months later.  I am unable to get any records.  I live in deep south Texas and bariatric surgery is just coming into focus here.  I truly believe that had a support group been available to me all these years, I would not be in the position I am.  So all *****ad this......take advantage of the support that is sooooo important!!
Most Active