I have a date to have my Lap-Band replaced-anyone gone through this?

cjessie
on 2/1/08 1:24 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I finally got approved by my insurance company to replace my Lap-Band.  I got it in May 2005.  Ater having my son last year we realized that the band was not holding saline.  My doctor replaced the port, thinking that was the problem, but it turns out it is the band. Anyway, one thing he mentioned is there is a possibility he won't be able to replace it due to scar tissue.  Has anyone had this problem or had a successful replacement?  My biggest fear is I will wake up from surgery with no band.  Can someone ease my nerves? 
marilyn_3
on 2/1/08 12:07 pm
Hello I personally havent gone thru it but i went to get a fill the other day and when they went to heck how much I have in me only .5 extra came out with it. its been my 6th fill. He thinks that their is a possiblity there could be a leek. So it would be great if we could keep in touch and you can tell me what happens and good luck. Hang in their everything will work out.
melati
on 2/2/08 1:26 am, edited 2/2/08 1:30 am - Miami, FL

You shouldn't have scar tissue unless your band eroded. If this is the case, any replacement band will probably erode even faster than the first.

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/08 1:57 am - Brampton, Canada
I know of several people who have had band replaced and are happy.  I suggest you post this on the Lapband forum to hear from people like that. Best wishes,
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 2/3/08 8:51 am - 128 Belt, MA
I, too, have a leak somewhere in the port,tubing or band. I am going ot have it taken out and a RNY performed.   I had difficulties getting the band where it wasn't too tight and having reflux or too loose. Since it wasn't perfect for me, I am not going to fix it but move onto the next thing. It was a great tool when it worked. It was a good tool even when it didn't work well.  I realize now that a band that is not properly/ correctly adjusted still does some good work. good luck.
leatha_g
on 2/12/08 10:26 am - Abilene, TX
I had my first band place in May, 2003.  I was rebanded successfully in July, 2004.  My second band was never the same as the first.  I revised to RNY Dec, 2007.   Anytime you have surgery, it is likely you will wind up with scar tissue and adhesions.   It is just the nature of the body mending itself inside. 
Most Active