Considering revision - RNY(2001) to Lap Band?

Cindy C.
on 1/28/08 2:52 pm - Bloomingdale, NJ
I had my gastric bypass in 2001 and have never regretted it!  I started at 380 and lost 158 pounds, but I never got down to the 130-140 pounds that was my goal.  Lap band at the time of my surgery wasn't an available.  I accepted my fate and lived life to is fullest these 8 years and resulted in a 40 pound weight gain.  I was on a plane flipping through a magazine and saw an advertisement with a girl who had a revision with Lap Band. Has anyone gone from RNY to a Lap Band and seen positive results?   I went to a support group meeting earlier this month and spoke with a surgeon for 5 minutes.  Because my insurance requires that I obtain medical records (weight) for the past 5 years.  I did that and I am ready to make my appointment and know I am ready to make my appointment.   Are there any other options that I should be looking at? Thank you. Cindy 
catherine T.
on 1/28/08 6:34 pm - lindenhurst, ny
Hi Cindy,                                                                                                                                                                    I also had Rny in 2003. I never lost as much as I thought I would and then started to regain. I just had the Lap band placed over the RNY last Thursday. It is too soon to tell how it will work for me but so far I don't really have hunger not like before. I am on full liquids for 2 weeks. Living in NY close to NYC I am lucky to have access to one of the most experienced surgeons that does Lap bands and has been banding RNY's for a while. I would highly recommend NYU surgical weight loss team to anyone. Since you live in NJ  I don't know if that would be too far for you to travel. The main reason us RNYers start to regain is that we lose our restriction after a while. There is no magic bullet just the tools to help us. Best of luck. Cathy
grandsonx2
on 2/3/08 10:20 am - TN
Cathy, I was just wondering what Dr Fielding is like, I have been talking to their office this last week, the ladies in his office were very nice and helpful and am considering flying to new york to have this done, they have just  received  my medical records, I am just waiting to see what my cost is going to be with my insurance and waiting for my approval, can you tell me how long you were in the hospital and did everything go ok ? Iam just a little nervous going out of state, but from what I have been reading on him, he seems to be very good.  also, could you please tell me what the nearest airport is to him and does he have other offices somewhere else, ( I forgot to ask his office) the other thing was if you know how expensive hotels are around there? I just thought you might know since you live in new york, I appreciate any information you can give me.   also, how are you doing so far,         Thank you so much!
catherine T.
on 2/4/08 5:08 am - lindenhurst, ny
Dr. Fielding is a very nice man. He is very matter of fact but in a laid back sort of way.  The office is extremely busy in fact I had my first post op visit today and just got home. I live on Long Island it takes me about 1-1 1/2 hours to get there. The office was standing room only and out the door. I am glad I had an early appointment. When I spoke with him about my regain he really did not have to think twice about trying to help me. He believes so strongly in the Lap Band. He also did surgery on my husband in 2004 for the band and my husband has lost and maintained 175lbs lost. My husband also has some unique medical problems and no other surgeon would touch him. Dr. Fielding said he would try and he was very successful. I was also lucky because when he went in I had no adhesions and my banding was pretty straight foward. My husband and I have an enormous amount of faith in him because if it were not for him my husband may have died from his obesity. Be prepared to wait I don't know what kind of time he takes with his pre-ops because we are usually in and out because we have been seeing him since he first started practicing here in NY. If you go online to NYU hospital site I believe they have links for out of towners. Living only an hour by train I don't usually stay overnight. The two airports in NYC are JFK and Laguardia. JFK has the air train that brings you in to Jamaica Station and the you can catch a train into Penn Station then a cab to NYU or just get a cab at the airport but I don't know how expensive that is. Everything can be researched on line. Best of luck and let me know how it goes. I have my first fill in 2 weeks. best of luck. Cathy
Cheryl J.
on 5/21/08 4:03 am
Hi Cathy, My best friend loves Dr. Fielding. He is her surgeon also.  How are you doing with your weight loss? Im looking to getting a band placed over my bypass. Just hoping that insurance will pay for it.
mikkozoe
on 1/31/08 5:57 am - Conyers, GA
I have a band over my RNY and i love it.  I am having issues right now from a over fill but that is more my fault than the bands ...but i do not regreate gettting it at all.  the weight loss is slower so that took some time to get use to but besides that it is wonderful i must say  Laura
grandsonx2
on 2/1/08 2:23 am - TN
Laura, could you please tell me where dr DE La Garza is located, it in georgia ?   Thanks
mikkozoe
on 2/3/08 8:12 am - Conyers, GA
He is not in Georgia ...he is in Mexico ....I could not find a doc in GA who would even see me
grandsonx2
on 2/3/08 10:01 am - TN

thanks,

Katrina H.
on 6/2/08 5:36 am - Rogersville, AL
I had RNY in 2004.  I started at 340, lost down to 210, now I am back up to 280.  I have been considering the lap band.  Laura - when did you have the lap band?  Do you mind giving me some of your details, starting weight, etc?  Katrina
Most Active