RESTORe

LosingSally
on 1/28/08 5:03 pm
The study is closed because the results aren;t lasting very long. I read several posts and information and it seems the sutures don't hold but a few weeks or months. I think they plan to use different materials to suture the pouch, and or stoma so as to have longer lasting or permenent results.
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/08 8:13 pm

LosingSally: Other than "Chippilyn" who else here has posted about the sutures not holding?  I'm 3 months out and I'm very pleased with the results (41 lbs down).  I feel considerable restriction.  Also, how do you know why the study is closed?  I called my research coordinator yesterday and even she didn't know what you just posted.  Are you by chance one of the coordinators?

Betsy C.
on 1/28/08 9:16 pm - Efland, NC
LosingSally - I'm curious, have you had the RESTORe procedure?  Just curious where you information comes from. 

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

LosingSally
on 1/29/08 7:08 am
I am looking through my papers for the information to pass along to you. There are at least 3-4 stomal repair systems in use, mostly in studies. Not all of them are doing as well as hoped. I'll post here when I get the full informtaion.
NueBelieve
on 1/30/08 7:03 am - PA
Hi! Can you please post the link were you saw these post?  I would reply appreciate it. Thanks :)
Betsy C.
on 1/28/08 7:12 pm - Efland, NC
Ok, I received an email from the Baltimore study coordinator saying that the study is closed, but that I'm still in.  I had already signed my consents and had all the assessments, and was accepted into the study before they closed enrollment.  Whew!!!   I thought I would share something I recently came across for those who wanted the procedure but didn't make it in in time.   It's another study entitled Endoscopic Stomach and Pouch Reduction in Patients With Weight Regain Following Roux-En-Y Bypass Surgery.  Go to http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/locn/NCT00411489?term=nct00411489+AND+TP0165+AND+Endoscopic+Stomach+and+Pouch+Reduction+in+Patients+With+Weight+Regain+Following+Roux-En-Y+Bypass+Surgery&rank=1 and there is a contact name, email and phone listed.  It appears to be only located in Burlington, MA, New York City, and Portland, OR.  It appears to suture BOTH the pouch and stoma, but it doesn't say what the inclusion/exclusion criteria is (size of pouch, stoma, BMI, etc.)  I would love to know what the deal is, so if anyone is in one of those areas, give them a call. My study coordinator is supposed to call me today with my procedure date.  Again, I'm sorry for all those who were waiting to schedule assessments and now cannot participate in the study. 

Lap RNY 5/7/03

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/08 8:30 pm
Betsy: I actually tried to get into that study you're referring to..lol.  It's for the EROS procedure.  My pouch was too short so I didn't qualify.  They needed it to be more than 4 inches long (for their tool) but they told me they were getting a new tool in Nov or Dec 2007 that will accomodate longer pouches so maybe more people will qualify.  I can't remember the BMI criteria offhand or any other details. 
happy girl
on 1/28/08 9:17 pm
that was my first choice, but I already had a revision, so was disqualified off the bat  

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

happy girl
on 1/28/08 9:14 pm
Betsy, I am really happy you still qualify. 

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Betsy C.
on 1/28/08 9:28 pm - Efland, NC
Thanks Reese - me to! I just found the inclusion criteria for the "pouch and stoma" study I posted earlier.  Here are the key ones:
  • At enrollment, has regain at least 15% of weight loss
  • BMI 40 or greater or 35 or greater with one or more co-morbidities
  • Stoma diameter at least 20 mm
Unless it's incorrect, the BMI would disqualify most of us.  My BMI is barely 30 (just enough to qualify for RESTORe). 

Lap RNY 5/7/03

Most Active