stomaphyx

katchal
on 1/27/08 6:20 am - Goodview, VA
Is this procedure covered by insurance or is all of it out of pocket?  I didn't qualify for the RESTORe procedure and am considering this option.  I would appreciate any guidance you may have. Thanks Kathy 
pepsi98
on 1/27/08 6:51 am - Norwich, CT
I have personally spoken to Dr. Shikora and he says that because it (StomaphyX) is considered experimental the insurance companies are not paying for it.  I'm somewhat confused because I've read many things on this forum where someone had it and it was totally covered and others who said it is not.  I am having it done this Friday 2/1 and hope and pray that I will work with this and finally achieve success. Sue
S Andrews
on 1/27/08 1:03 pm - eatonville, WA
I saw the surgeon on the 23 of January. he said there have been around 200 of these procedures done in the US and so far they seem to be having good results.  None have been done here in the Northwest but several Drs have finished their training. I am seriouly looking at having it done myself in the next couple of months. It's fairly costly when you have to pay out of pocket and from what I understand most insurance companies won't cover it yet because it is still in the "experimental stages. The Dr. I spoke with said its around $10,000 and that covers everything. Its done under general anethesia, takes about an hour, you can usually go home the same day and it takes about a week to recover and start feeling really good. If someone has it in the meantime I would love to here how your experience went.The surgeon actually let me look close up at the instrument they use and the little plastic ties they use- it was all very interesting.
pepsi98
on 1/28/08 4:02 am - Norwich, CT
Well, I just got home from Boston...had EKG, lab, CXR and H+P.  I'm all set to go for StomaphyX this Friday.  I'm somewhat excited and nervous...don't want to mess this up.  I want to everything the right way and pray for the best. Sue
melissac
on 1/28/08 4:18 am - Pawtucket, RI
I am planning on having this done in March,2008.  I will be the first person in my state to have it done and I am curious as to how much I can expect to lose and getting the insurance approval.  I would love to hear from anyone that has has this done or about to have this done.
pepsi98
on 1/28/08 4:30 am - Norwich, CT
Where are you having your Stomaphyx done and who is your MD?  I'm having it done at Tufts with Scott Shikora.  I know how you feel.  I want to hear from as many people who either had it done or know of someone who had it done.  I think I read somewhere on this forum that there have only been 200 that have been done. Sue Norwich, CT
melissac
on 2/4/08 9:11 am - Pawtucket, RI
Hi Sue, I am supposed to have the procedure done at the Miriam Hospital here in Providence with Dr. Harry Sax and Dr. V.  I am not hoping for a miracle to happen but I would like to lose 60 lbs more than what I did the first time around.  I will be the first in the state to have it done,.. they tell me it will be paid for by my medical so we shall see. Melissa Pawtucket, RI
DianeI
on 2/22/08 11:27 pm - MD
Could you please update on your progress??
rkarebear10
on 1/31/08 1:32 am - FL
Pam:  I had RNY in 2001 also and lost 108 lbs; now at mid life have begun to regain and put bout 30 lbs back on too.  Do you exercixe at all?  I laid off exercie for the last 18 mos or so and noticed the most weight gain at that time during a stressful jb change. I have begun to focus on exercise again and trying to return to the "rukes of the tool", especially no drinking at meals with hopes of losing the weight gain.  Has anyone else had luck with trying to get the weight regain back off like this.  I knw at the time of  my pricedure, my surgeon had always said you could lose again by honoring the "tool" and the rules.  I'm considering this new procedure as well if the weight does not come off.
DianeI
on 2/22/08 11:26 pm - MD
I will be seeing Dr. Steele at Johns Hopkins Bayview in Baltimore, on Monday 2/25 to discuss the Stomaphyx. My surgeon Thomas Magnuson, at Bayview said my pouch is fine. (had a swallow test in January) He said he's pretty sure I will need the stomaphyx. Hopefully I will get my test for the size of the stoma soon. I am ready to go today! Up more than 50% from lowest weight. Surgery was in 2002. How many people have had this so far, does anyone know? thanks, I'll keep ya'll updated. d
Most Active