LapBand to RnY

glamacurls
on 1/25/08 1:23 pm - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
I am scheduled to have my lapband removed and have the bypass done at the same time. I read that someone else said their doctor said it was important to wait several months between surgeries. Has anyone had this done? Did you have it all done at once or was there two surgeries involved? Thanks for your help!
Julie
Brittwoman
on 1/25/08 7:52 pm - West Babylon, NY
My surgeon made me wait 2 months before he did my revision because I had a slip, some erotion, esophagitis, and a nice new little hiatal hernia. And to be honest, I'm glad I waited the 2 months from time of removal and revision to RNY, because my body really did need the time to heal.
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 1/26/08 10:09 am - 128 Belt, MA
when I have my band removed and most likely RNY...I will have one surgery. I see the doc this week and will ask him again.| joan
Nichole_Soon2B_FF
on 1/27/08 3:15 am
I am having my band removed 1/31/08 and being revised to RNY during the same surgery, however, I didn't have issues like erosion to deal with.  I am guessing if there are underlying complications from the band, such as erosion or slippage, etc. it would be best to have a healing period between surgeries. 
LizMoore
on 1/27/08 9:33 am - San Diego, CA
I am having my Band taken out the 18th of Feb and they are going to try to do RNY,,the problems is,,as my doc explained it to me,,that there will be alot of adheision's and cutting those away they might find some damage to the stomach..he also said what they dont tell u is the tack a lil bit of the stomach over the band,,,if there is too much damage for me they will be doing the sleeve I guess it depends on your insurance if they will pay for a 2 part surgery
glamacurls
on 1/27/08 9:55 am - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
Thanks for your reply. Good luck with your surgery. I am self pay so I hope that there are no complications or my pocket book will suffer!
cynrivers
on 1/29/08 10:03 pm, edited 1/29/08 10:04 pm - Simpsonville, SC
I had a lapband also...are you having complications such as  a slip or just insufficient weight loss?  I had my removed first and am now having my revision to a DS.  My surgeon (who does all the surgeries--RNY, DS, lapband, sleeve, etc) stated that if you have had a lapband prior to another weight loss, he would recommend the DS due to the scar tissue.  The scar tissue is generally in the area that they staple thru to make the pouch.  He said this would lead to a higher risk of a leak.  Please be sure to ask your surgeon if he thinks this will affect your risk of a leak.  Good luck with your surgery! Cyndi
glamacurls
on 1/30/08 1:28 am - Olive Branch, MS
RNY on 02/19/08 with
The doctor recommends RnY for me. I feel confident with him as I have had several friends have to have the lapband removed and then have RnY. They have all done great, so I am looking forward to it myself. Good luck with your DS
schlii
on 2/3/08 8:59 pm - North Chelmsford, MA
If I understand your post correctly, you're asking whether both the band removal and the bypass are done at the same time?  If that's the case then, yes. On 11/01/07 I had my band that had been in for a little over 2 years removed and a RnY performed in just a little bit over 2 hrs, so it should be no problem for you.  Now, the time involved could be significantly more in that the damage done to ones stomach varies.  I was really lucky on that front and had little to no adhesions.  Also, if you can lose a little weight prior to the surgery that will help things as well.  Best of luck with your revision.  Best thing I know I ever did!
leatha_g
on 2/12/08 10:32 am - Abilene, TX
I revised from lapband to RNY on the same day. No problems, except that I seemed a little more sore due to having to have the band removed and a hiatal hernia RE-repaired.   Things are a bit different with the RNY, especially tummy issues, but I've lost 33lbs in less than 6 weeks.  This is good..
Most Active