Looked at my post op reports from 7/10/02....

AphY Girl
on 1/25/08 2:39 am

Well, this might be why I am regaining... my limb was shortened in 2002 to 150CM.. and I was WAY SUPER OBESE - weighed 420lbs... and I am 5'8.. anyhow.. and my pouch was reduced to 50cc... and I am sure it has stretched.. I really WISH this doctor would call me back to see if I do qualify for a revision.. Info found on a web site: Super obesity has been defined as 200 lb overweight or as a BMI 50 kg/m2Ø. Weight loss results in super obese patients have been problematic after gastric restrictive operations including conventional short limb RY gastric bypass (RYGB). An earlier report showed that a 150cm Roux limb produced significantly greater weight loss vs. a 75cm Roux limb in super obese patients. However, recidivism after 3 years was common in both groups. The goal of the present prospective study was to compare long term weight loss using a distal RYGB (D-RY) in which the RY anastomosis was performed 75cm proximal to the ileocecal junction (N=47) vs. super obese patients who had Roux limbs of 150cm (N=152) and 50-75cm (N=99). All operations incorporated the same gastric restrictive parameters and were performed by one surgeon. Minimum follow up period was 3 years and ranged to 16 years. Weight loss and reduction in BMI were significantly greater after D-RY vs. both RYGB-150, RYGB-75 and in RYGB-150 vs. RYGB-75 through 5 years. Mean percent excess weight loss peaked at 63% after DRY and RYGB-150 vs. 55% after RYGB-75. Weight loss maintenance through 5 years was correlated with Roux limb length with DRY >RYGB-150 >RYGB-75. More than 75% of obesity-related comorbidities improved or resolved with weight loss. There was no difference in early postop morbidity rate: 8.7% after D-RY; 8.5% after RYGB-150; 2.0% after RYGB-75. There was one death (0.3%) from pulmonary embolism after RYGB-150. Diarrhea was noted in 17 patients (36%) after D-RY; in one patient (0.3%) after RYGB-150 and absent after RYGB-75. All D-RY patients had at least one postop metabolic abnormality. The incidence of anemia was significantly greater after D-RY vs. RYGB-150 and RYGB-75 (p < 0.05 D-RY vs. others). There was no difference in the incidence of metabolic sequelae between RYGB-150 and RYGB-75 patients. No operations were reversed or modified for nutritional complications. Two D-RY patients required TPN for protein calorie malnutrition. These results show that Roux limb length has a significant impact on weight loss in super obese patients. However, it is unclear whether the greater weight loss and better weight loss maintenance after D-RY in comparison with RYGB-150 is sufficient justification for its routine use in superobese patients having bariatric operations. We conclude that some degree of malabsorption should be incorporated in bariatric operations performed in super obese patients in order to achieve satisfactory long term weight loss.

happy girl
on 1/26/08 1:56 am
I think it's important to remember that a 150cm roux limb is measured from the top down and they are measuring small bowel, and a distal they measure from the bottom up, the common channel, so a 150cm roux limb is better than a 75cm roux limb, but a 75cm common channel is better than a 150cm common channel. At least that's how it was explained to me

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/6/08 11:48 pm - Knoxville, TN
I guess I am kinda of confused ...I was super obese with my BMI well over 50.  I had the Distal RNY with 150 cm removed.   Does this mean that my weight gain from 184-245 was the norm.  I did lose back down to 190 but back up to 207 right now ...and am in the middle of gettin approved for a new clinical study.  I guess I just dont understand all the info you have in here. Cheryl
Most Active