Has anyone had a Revision of gastric stapleing to RNY gastric bypass

Nancy K.
on 1/25/08 7:35 am - Joliet, IL
I am scheduled for a revision on 2/5/08 and would like to hear your opinions and stories if you have had this type of a reviosion done.

KeriC
on 1/26/08 12:22 am - Tomball, TX
Me!  Yes, I was a VBG (Gasttric stapling patient) - done in 1990.  It did not work.  I just had (3 months ago) my revision to RNY.  It was done lapascopically by Garth Davis, M.D. in Houston Texas.  He is one of the physicians from TLC's Big Medicine.  I have had ZERO complications and it feels so good.  I am down 65 lbs and 5 sizes.  Yes, 5 sizes.  I could not be happier and encourage everyone who is/was a gastric staple patient to get a revision. Keri
Keri 
Houston, TX
Revision from VBG to RNY on October 23, 2007

Nsg4Him
on 1/26/08 8:44 am - Sevierville, TN
I had a gastric stapling, what is now called a verticle banded gastroplasty in 1981.  It was never effective.  I had it revised to a RNY last month.  I had to have a open incision because of adhesions on my liver from the previous surgery.  I won't kid you, the first 2-3 weeks were not fun.  But, I am 5 weeks out and feel pretty good and have lost about 25-30 pounds.  I am not back at work yet, but will go back in a week.

Marilyn
                      Smoky Mountain Obesity and WLS Support Group 
                    1/17 6:30 LeConte Medical Center              

MsDeniseinPA
on 1/28/08 5:32 am - PA

this is what I'm going for...I had my VBG in 1998 and altho I lost 80  lbs, I never got down to goal weight (I had about 40 more to lose) and have put on 40 lbs. in the past 2 years.  I have my first appointment with my surgeon on Feb 20th.

JROLFSON
on 1/29/08 2:27 am - St. George, UT

HI: I HAD A GASTRIC STAPLING IN 1981, WEIGHED 250 LBS AT SURGERY AND IN 6 MONTHS  LOST 125 LBS.  AFTER ALMOST 7 YEARS I BEGAN TO REGAIN THE WEIGHT AND OPTED FOR A RNY GASTRIC BYPASS, WEIGHT REGAIN WAS DUE TO THE STAPLES COMING OPEN. AND MY OVEREATING. THE DATE WAS SEPT 1991, I WEIGHED IN AT 215 AT SECOND SURGERY. 8 MONTHS LATER I WEIGHED 120.  I'M NOW RESEARCHING ANOTHER REVISION,  MY WEIGHT HAS ZOOMED AGAIN TO 200 LBS. IT HAS BEEN ALMOST 17 YEARS SINCE MY REVISION TO RNY. I'M LOOKING INTO THE DS REVISION. IT SEEMS TO HAVE A LONGER LASTING EFFECT.  BUT, I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY, AND I DIDN'T ALWAYS DO WHAT I SHOULD DO REGARDING THE RNY, I.E. DIDN'T EAT MY MEALS AT THE TABLE AND LEAVE WHEN I WAS FOOL, I WOULD PICK AT FOOD ALL DAY AND EAT CANDY, YOU CAN FIT A LOT OF CHOCOLATE KISSES IN THAT POUCH, ALSO, I WOULD BUY LUNCH AND GRAZE ON IT ALL DAY UNTIL IT WAS GONE. IF I WENT WITH THE TOOL I WAS GIVEN, I WOULD HAVE ATE ONLY WHAT I COULD EAT AT A SITTING WHICH WAS AND STILL IS ONLY A HANDFUL OF FOOD. THEREFORE, RNY GASTRIC BYPASS REVISION CAN AND IS VERY SUCCESSFUL IF YOU THE PATIENT USES YOUR NEW GIFT TO IT'S FULL CAPACITY, IF NOT, YOU WILL END UP LIKE ME. HEAVY PEOPLE HAVE A TENDACY TO REGAIN VERY QUICKLY. FOR 13 YEARS, FROM 1992-2003 I MAINTAINED MY WEIGHT AND EVEN WENT DOWN TO 115 LBS AT ONE TIME. IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU AND YOUR MINDSET, BECAUSE THE SURGERY DEFINATELY WORKS. JANIE ROLFSON

pepsi98
on 1/30/08 5:36 am - Norwich, CT
I had a gastric bypass in 1982, lost about 120 lbs and then gained most of it all back.  The amazing thing is that all those years that I've lived obese, I could have had a revision.  Now with comorbidities, I am  a greater surgical risk and that is why I've chosen Stomaphyx.  I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not real clear on what my plumbing really looks like.  I believe the top 1/4 of my stomach was stapled off and the bowel re-connected to the working part of the stomach.  I have just accepted all these years, that I failed and that this wieght regain was my just desserts.  I don't even think I even knew about revisions simply because I've had NO support for any of this.  Oh I have a wonderful family, but I've never had a support group/system that was just like me.  Sooo I just figured it was my fault and went along.  Wish me well this Friday when I go for a Stomaphyx!!
Revised_RNY
on 2/3/08 7:27 am - Evansville, IN
Hi Nancy. I had RNY surgery back in 1992 when the pouch was formed with a staple line. Worked great (stabilized around size 10-12 petite****il I became totally non-compliant 5 years later and eventually exceeded my pre-op weight by 20 to 30 lbs. Had open RNY revision surgery 11/13/2007 after pondering about it for many years. I had post-op complications, but they weren't life-threatening since addressed very promptly (gastric leak). The solution was having a stent placed in my esophagus for 6 weeks (which I later found out was fairly common for revision patients). Must be candid, the first 4 days with the stent were hell. However, it was tolerable after that. In retrospect, I wish I had been more inquisitive about the most common complications faced by revision patients and had used this wonderful forum. Will look for your post-revision posts. Good luck!! Kathy
jennjessie
on 2/18/08 3:24 pm - arvada, CO
hello everyone i'm a 33 year old female who had open rny back in 2003 at my highest weight at surgery I weigh 289 and I had lost about 150lbs and in the past couple of years i've gained about 80 of that back I've had trobles with my surgery though the years I had a upper gi done and found out that I have a very bad ulcer that to this day kills me, i knew about revisons but I dont have any support from anyone and i dont know where to begain to looking into a revison, can anyone explain to me what excludes a person from not being approved for surgery? i;m just lost and i read all this stories about a second chance and wondering if i would be left in the cold, my weight now is 230lbs and i'm sooo scared I have a appt for a upper gi in march in which the doc explained to me that it could be surgery related but i'm not sure a ulser classifies my weight gain. I want to know that there is some hope for me as many people out there have gotton a revision, I dont know the "quifiacations" for having a revsion and also I only have medicare ins. I need support i feel alone in my journey can anyone shed some light on me..... jen
Most Active