RESTORe - I qualified!

Betsy C.
on 1/24/08 4:42 am - Efland, NC
I just got the call from the study coordinator at Johns Hopkins - I'm in the study.  I don't have a procedure date yet, in fact she said I have to bug her until I get the date.  Whew!  Thank the Lord! Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/08 5:01 am
Yay Betsy!!!!  Did they happen to mention how big your stoma was?  Mine was 3cm!!
Betsy C.
on 1/24/08 5:10 am - Efland, NC
No she didn't.  She just said the magic words - you qualified!  I thought when she called she would also be giving me a date, but she said I would have to keep bugging her for the date.  What's up with that!?! Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

darnell239
on 1/24/08 7:56 am - Columbia, SC
Betsy, Congratulations! I'm jealous (lol).  I read your profile and your story is somewhat like mine.  Around year to I began eating a lot and having does cravings again.  For me it is sweets and it has done me in. 
katchal
on 1/24/08 10:16 am - Goodview, VA
Hello all.  I am very sadden tonight.  I just returned from John Hopkins to only find out that I will not qualify for the RESTORe study.  According to the physician, my pouch is anatomically incorrect.  It is about 8-9 cms and straight up instead of curved.  The pouch was stapled much lower than what he would have expected.  There just wasn't enough room to move the tools around.  He wasn't even able to do the measurements.  I cried most of the way home because I was sure I would be chosen.  So, the physician said he was going to get Dr. Schweitzer review and see what my alternatives are.  My issue is that I don't believe my insurance will pay even though it sounds like my pouch was formed incorrectly.  I hope all of you on the RESTORe journey do well.  I guess I am going to go back to the drawing board and see what my options are.  take Care Kathy
happy girl
on 1/24/08 10:40 am
Oh Kathy, I can only imagine how upsetting that news was to get   It does sound like the doctor is going to try and find something that will work for you, fingers crossed that insurance comes through.  Maybe because the pouch is wrong that will help. HUGS!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

babybee6
on 1/24/08 11:00 am - Cincinnati, OH
Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about this. I have been lurking on here for a while now. I may have posted something a year or so ago because I've been looking into a revision for almost two years. I could have one but what I've been offered is to leave my stomach like it is and bypass more intestines. I haven't been able to make up my mind so I haven't done anything except gain. I would have gotten the revision in a heartbeat if I could have more restriction. Anyway, I recently came back to this board because I was thinking about it again. Feb. 4 is my anniversary date (6 yrs.) and it's time to see the surgeon for my yearly blood work and that's what got me to thinking about this again. While on here a couple of weeks ago, I saw the posts about the Restore trials and sent an e-mail for the one in Cleveland. I haven't posted about it because I wasn't sure if it is suppose to be talked about and I didn't want to jinx anything. (I'm weird, I know). But I had to say something to you because I feel bad for you and can imagine how you must feel. I'm scheduled for my tests to see if I qualify Feb. 7. I fear that I won't qualify either. I'm pretty sure my stoma is enlarged because I've tried dieting (again) and I get hungry 1/2 to 1 hour after I eat and I've always followed the no drinking with meals at least 30 min. before and 30 min. after. I'm afraid my BMI is too high. It's 51. So now I've outed myself. I truly hope that there is another solution for you. Perhaps this information will help you get approved for something else. Let us know what happens. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Brenda
katchal
on 1/24/08 11:19 am - Goodview, VA
Brenda, Thank you so much for your kind words.  I  was surery stoma was enlarged as well.  But, I guess I won't know.. I wish you the best.  Please keep the board up to date,, Kathy 
(deactivated member)
on 1/25/08 3:33 am
Kathy- I'm sorry you're so disappointed!  I'm sure you'll be able to find another alternative to help you.   Just don't give up.  Even if the insurance company says no the first time, keep bugging them...state your case...make a pest out of yourself.  Threaten to sue if all else fails.  Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!!
happy girl
on 1/24/08 10:37 am
that is awesome news !!!!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Most Active