Stomaphyx

pepsi98
on 1/22/08 6:11 pm - Norwich, CT
Hi Everyone,    I'm having Stomaphyx on Feb 1st at Tufts in Boston and would love to hear from people who have had it done.  Even though I had a gastric bypass in 1982 and only enjoyed a brief "thin time" I hope and pray that I fix my head and realize that the party is over.  It's amazing to me that all those years I felt like a failure there was a support network out there.  I didn't stumble onto this forum until a couple of weeks ago and I've learned so much already.  So please, anyone out there with personal info or general info about stomaphyx  please sound off!! Thanks, Sue
Dr.Schlesinger
on 1/23/08 3:55 am
Hi Sue,    First and foremost, talk to your surgeon. Don't be afraid or reluctant to ask questions; even the tough ones. If the surgeon is the right one for you, your questions will be answered to your satisfaction. Don't forget about the after care program and long term follow-up/support.    As a surgeon with a lot of experience with revisions and the most experience with Stomaphyx in the western US, in my practice I have found that in the properly selected patient, Stomaphyx is an excellent procedure. As with any surgical procedure experience counts.     I think the most important thing I've learned over the years is that there are at several revision options for the VAST majority of patients who have not yet claimed the success that they deserve. The key is to determine which option is best for each person. Simply stated; One size never fits all!    My opinion for anyone considering a revision, is to seek out a surgeon with experience and genuine interest in this type of surgery. Be certain that you understand your options, their risks as well as the benefits. Make sure that both you and your surgeon's office are committed to LONG term follow-up. As with all WLS, your success depends on team work. Ask yourself, "Do I trust my surgeon?" If the answer is yes... Go for it!    Success awaits each and everyone of you who are truly committed. If you are ready; begin your journey, for the rewards and benefits are yours for the taking! Good luck! Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS
lynnroot
on 1/23/08 1:09 pm - Vacaville, Ca

What a Blessing to here from both of you, I too am trying to have a revision done. My surgery was done in 1981 and as you can imagine there was no support then and the things they told me to do was so unbelievable by todays standards including being given a roast beef sandwich on white bread with mayo and a vanilla milk shake in the hospital at 10pm as a snack. And to you Dr. Schlesinger thank you for caring, the surgerian I tried to talk to told me that it couldn't be done becuase of scar tissue and such. thank you so much I wish you were my Doctor, but alas I have Kaiser so I am stuck with them. Take care and keep in touch and sorry for my bad spelling

Lynn Root

dsnydi
on 3/5/08 9:55 pm
Eric, where are you located?

Pre-Revision: 228 - I had my second baby Feb. 18, 2009
Current Weight: 186 I had a revision via lap to my RnY on August 18, 2009

Dr.Schlesinger
on 3/5/08 10:11 pm
Dsny Di
I am located in Phoenix.
You may contact my office at:

AZ Weight Loss Solutions
20950 N. Tatum Blvd.
Suite 380
Phoenix, AZ 85050
phone: 480-419-2280

Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS
AZ Weight Loss Solutions
pepsi98
on 1/23/08 6:57 am - Norwich, CT
Dear Dr. Schlesinger,   Thank you so very much for your reply!  I do trust Dr. Shikora, however I do have some concerns since I will be  only the second patient he has done this procedure on (the first one is ahead of me and his third is just after me).  I've been reading this forum and have read that you put as many rows or pleats as you can and I actually did speak to Dr. Shikora about that.  He said that he absolutely would put in as many as he can.  I do believe he is committed to bariatrics and he did come recommended by a friend of kine who is a bariatric dietician in Philadelphia.  I live and work as an RN in Connecticut and just going back and forth to Boston is a bit of a haul.  Do you have any advice or any questions I should ask of him??  I want to succeed so very much! Thanks Again, Sue
Dr.Schlesinger
on 1/23/08 9:30 pm
Sue, Before I address your questions, there are a few things I want to say. I responded to you initially because your concerns are the same as many other OH members. I believe that many members will learn and profit from reading and following your posting. It is only with knowledge and understanding that anyone can make their best decision. It is my sincerest desire to help educate as many people as possible. Let us all do our best to dispel misinformation. Your best chance of success requires your active participation in your care. The likelihood of you closely following your doctor's program increases dramatically if you know why you should be doing what you have been instructed to do. Sue, you are doing so many things right. You are asking good questions and seeking help. Your quest has led you to OH. Far and away, I believe that this is the best website for WLS patients and those contemplating WLS. I applaud you! Keep it up! Here are some things to think about. Ask Dr. Shikora who EndoGastric Solutions is sending to proctor his first cases. Dr. Overcash, Dr. Garber, Dr. Mikami, and I have the most experience with Stomaphyx. If it's anyone from this list both you and your doctor are in good hands. How will you be followed? How frequently will you communicate with his office. Will it be by phone or email? Do you have clear transitional dietary instructions? Are you currently being followed by a bariatric surgeon? I cannot stress enough how vital to your success I think this is. If you are under the care and supervision of a bariatric surgeon, is he/she "on board" with you having this procedure? In addition to OH, are you involved in a support group? Best wishes for your success! I look forward to reading your postings after the procedure. Be well, Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS
MARTHA C.
on 1/25/08 12:55 pm

Hello Dr. I live in Sacramento CA and want to know if your office is close to Sacramento. If not do you have a Dr that you recommend the does the stomaphyx procedure. Please help.

Martha  

pepsi98
on 1/25/08 8:31 pm - Norwich, CT
Hi Martha,    When did you have your gastric bypass?  Do you have any knowledge to share about Stomaphyx?  Why do you want Stomaphyx?  I'm asking because I had never heard of Stomaphyx until about 1 month ago when I saw my doctor and I'm trying to find out as much as possible since I will be having it done next Friday. Sue P.S. I think Dr. Schlesinger practices in Arizona
MARTHA C.
on 1/26/08 12:12 am
Hi Sue, I had my RNY 4 years ago 10.2003. I have gained 30 lbs. Part of that is I had a baby girl 9/2005 but I've gained most of it this last year or so. I can eat pretty much as much as I want or I dont stay full. I read about the stomaphyx on the forum about revisions if u go on line and type in Stomaphyx it will take u to the website of the company that offers the stomaphyx/training. it shows u the procedure.  where are u having your surgery? Hope to hear from u soon. Martha 
Most Active