Has anyone had Hiatal Hernia on or near their pouch

Phyllis C.
on 2/24/08 12:00 am
I have a hiatal hernia which I had before the band being placed, but it was very small and was not repaired at the time.  It is causing me problems now with reflux and I don't seem to be able to get effective restriction because the hernia "pulls" up on the band.  I am going to have the hernia repaired and the band repositioned and I am hoping that it will work the way it is intended once that is done. I really don't know how a hernia would effect the RNY but evidently it has an adverse effect on WLS in general.  I hope you can get everything fixed and working for you. If anyone has a better understanding of how hiatal hernias can interfere with the proper function of the lap band I would love to hear your input.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 3/21/08 1:28 pm - Brick, NJ
Phyllis, Have you had the revision as yet?  I too have the same problem and am scheduled for band revision and repair of the hiatal hernia on 3/31/08.  I was wondering how it went for you. Donna C.

Cheryl Gebbie
on 3/21/08 11:01 pm - Knoxville, TN
I just found out that I have a sliding hiatal hernia not sure what is gonna happen with it ..I am starting the process of gettin in the ROSE Trial and will have my eval and H Pyloric test on Tues and if I get passed that then I will have the Upper GI Series and the EGD (AGAIN) on the 31st and if my pouch and stoma are the same size as the Gastro doc said then I will be scheduled for the ROSE ..hopefully in April .....will let you know what i find out next week about the hernia ... Cheryl
Grandma Blue Eyes
on 3/22/08 1:15 pm - Brick, NJ
I have been remiss in signing onto these forums for awhile.  When I had trouble I signed on again, so I'm behind in the lingo - what is the ROSE trial? Donna

Cheryl Gebbie
on 3/22/08 3:22 pm - Knoxville, TN
The ROSE is where the surgeon goes endoscopically into the stomach and sutures the pouch and the stoma giving you your restriction back .... Cheryl
badmadmama
on 4/7/08 3:14 am - Oak Park, IL
I had a large hiatal sliding hiatal hernia at the time of my surgery.  After my third fill, I suddenly had so much restriction that I couldn't swallow anything.  It turned out that the hiatal hernia had actually travelled up alongside the band and was pressing on my esophagus.  They ended up having to remove a lot of fluid from the band.  I asked about hernia repair, and they said that it often contributes to band slippage, so they don't recommend it.   I've gained back about 20 pounds - I still have some restriction, but nothing like right after the surgery.
badmadmama
on 5/15/08 11:14 pm - Oak Park, IL
Update to my last post - I just saw Dr. Alverdy at University of Chicago.  He is going to repair my hiatal hernia and reposition my lap band.  Apparently when my band was placed, the surgeon only used a few stitches to pull my hiatal hernia back into place, and they broke when I vomited. 
Arizonadck
on 5/16/08 4:00 am - Chicago, IL
When you are scheduled to have it done?  Good Luck!  I'm seeking a revision (to my RNY) and was referred to Dr. Alverdy.  I have to get an upper GI and some other things in place before I can register for a consultation - so I probably won't see him until July.  How is he?  I'm told he's top in his field.  Thanks!  Carolyn
badmadmama
on 5/16/08 4:23 am - Oak Park, IL
I have an upper GI on Monday, and then he is going to squeeze me in somewhere - I've been in a lot of pain. Dr. Alverdy is one of the top surgeons in the WORLD.  My husband had a severe attack of acute pancreatitis in 2000, which led to multiple organ failure, and was given up for dead at another hospital.  Dr. Alverdy had him on life support in the ICU for a month and performed a procedure that saved his life.  He is a GOD as far as I am concerned.  Do a Google on him, and see all the research that he has published... Eileen
Linfin
on 7/5/17 5:20 pm

Hello-I am 12 and half years post rou--n y by pass and have recently started to have terrible trouble with food getting stuck. It causes vomiting & severe hiccups. I am unable to eat or drink for as long as 18 hours. I have to sit up in the bed & it's extremely painful.i have maintained my weight-loss reasonably well over the years but this just really has me frustrated & I was wondering if anyone else experienced this so long after surgery.

thank you for any input

Linfin

Most Active