What should I do????

jennyn
on 1/20/08 7:16 am - Kingston, TN
Hi everyone,  I had an RNY in Jan 2001, I had complications incl a Spleen removal, and an abscess that put me back in the hospital.  I was only able to lose about 60-70 pounds and now I have regained almost all.  Now, I am ready to see what to do next.  I no longer live in the same state as where I had my surgery and all the Drs. I have seen since, don't seem to know much about what my "problem" is.  Just this morning I was reading my medical records from the original surgery and I noticed that my pouch was made to a 50cc, but what I have been reading is that it should be 15-30cc, am I imaging things or is this why I have been complaining that I always felt like I could eat more that what I thought I was supposed to.   Any ideas on what I should do now?
chippilyn
on 1/20/08 12:07 pm - lebanon, NH
Keep looking for a doctor who understands and can help you.  I don't know much about your particular situation but in my case the surgeon who orginally did my RNY did what has been referred to as "the old fashioned way".  My pouch was made bigger than it is now and more of the intestines were left.  I had my surgery in New Hampshire in 1999.  I began not feeling full and knew something was different after about 4 years.  I went back to same hospital and was told pouch had not stretched and staple line was not broken down so it was just my issues with food.  I felt like I was the problem.  Then the restore trial came along and I was called to see if I qualified.  This was the first time I heard about stoma stretching.  Anyway skip to today and I am traveling to NYC to a surgeon who "gets it" and is going to fix my stoma -  my whole point is don't give up.  Search on line for doctor's that are within your capablitity to see- and keep trying.  I emailed several and got responses and even made a couple of appointments and cancelled when I found someone who appeared better.  Just don't give up on yourself and believe that you are worth --I found these forums very valuable when I was researching my options.  I hope you do too.  GOOD LUCK
LosingSally
on 1/20/08 5:10 pm
50 cc is very very small. 50 cc is about 1 3/4 ounces! 30 cc is about 1 ounce. I don't think a 50 cc pouch is large at all and should have any effect on weight loss.
happy girl
on 1/20/08 11:41 pm

how much does it say you were bypassed?  150cm? 75cm?  250cm?  In my opinion, the lower the number, the less amount bypassed, less weight loss...basically.  I am sure there is a better explaination than than. Depending on a lot of things, like insurance, how much in total you need to lose, your medical history, your current health etc.  You could go for a DS or a lapband over your RNY....I would see if your insurance even covers WLS/Revisions first of all and then find a surgeon/weight management Doctor and see what can be done.  Most drs start with an EGD and an Upper GI.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

jennyn
on 1/21/08 12:15 am - Kingston, TN
I was bypassed 100cm.  I have already checked and my insurance company does cover revisions, I have about 100 pounds to lose.
Most Active