band over sleeve

Tammy B.
on 1/19/08 10:16 am - Fort Worth, TX
hello everyone!  I'm having a problem, and I only know of one other person on OH that has had this surgery.  I had a lap band 4 years ago, and in August 2007, had a VSG with a lap band over it.  I've had 5 adjustments since, and had still only lost 31 pounds.  If the adjustment gets too tight I can't even keep liquids down.  If the doc loosens it I eat too much.  I'm so confused right now.  I know it's only been 5 months, but I truly feel I should be losing more.  I lost more on the first lap band 4 years ago by this time.  Any ideas? Thanks!

~~Sami~~ *.
on 1/21/08 1:00 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Tammy: I know there's a woman on the VSG boards who had her VSG done by Dr. Elrainy(?) in VA... and he left her Band in place.  I also think that Dr. Smith in Marietta, GA leaves bands in place on revisions to DS or VSG as well.  You might want to try asking on the VSG board :) I agree, you should have lost more.  I'm confused as to why you're even needing fills at this stage.  Do you know what size bougie your surgeon used to size your sleeve?? Sami

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

GrannyLaLa
on 1/21/08 5:55 pm - South,, AR
Sounds like your pouch was made too big?? Maybe the doctor didn't make it small enough because he figured the band would help.  No way would I keep the band in while having a sleeve.  I'd check out another doctor and see what he says.  Let him check the size. I think most doctors are using a 32 Bougie.

Glitter Text

abemmaco4
on 1/22/08 5:30 am - McKinney, TX
I don't know what a VSG is.  I had my stomach stapled in 1980, then gastric bypass on 12/15/06.  I've been successful and reached my weight loss goal of 150 lbs within a year.  I had trouble finding a doctor who would do a revision but was lead to Dr. Kenneth Warnock in Wichita Falls.  He is wonderful & his patients travel from other states because of his knowledge & empathy.  If you have more than 100 lbs to lose, it might be worth your while to see him and get his opinion.  Losing 31 lbs in 5 months doesn't sound like much.   Vicki
Tammy B.
on 1/22/08 11:54 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thank you all for your help.  I'll talk to my doctor and see what he suggests.  I appreciate the input!

PekinSal
on 1/29/08 7:32 am - UK
Hi Could you could ask about DS or RNY too?  For DS you've got the sleeve bit already, you might only need the replumbing bit done - I had the band and for revision my doc said that restriction wasnt going to be enough, so DS or RNY for me. i couldn't get my band adjusted properly either - its so frustrating isnt it. I chose DS because of a better statistical chance of curing diabetes, but depending on the technical stuff you might have a choice of either op? Worth asking someone who does all the ops perhaps. Sally
Most Active