Questions about the stoma

darnell239
on 1/19/08 2:25 am - Columbia, SC
I know this might sound silly but what is the difference between the stoma and the pouch?  I think I heard someone say that the pouch usually doesn't  stretch much but the stoma does.  Is that statement true or false?  Also, it the stoma the main reason for weight regain?  I welcome all comments and explanations.
Ruth S.
on 1/19/08 3:29 am - Orlando, FL
The Stoma is the opening where the esphagus and stomach meet..the pouch is the pouch (I believe). Both the stoma and the pouch can stretch if you eat beyond your means for a long period of time or by some other method to stretch both of them..the pouch/stomach is a stretchable organ that why as former fatties we were able to eat mor than norm cause we could pu**** to it's limits (LOL)...let's hope we don't do this with the pouch. Weight regain can be due to many factors, the mechanics of the procedure by a certain surgeons, people's health issues and medications can cause weight gain and not necessarily that they stretched the pouch or stoma. Hope I was able to help.
Ruth S.
Ruth S.
on 1/19/08 3:37 am - Orlando, FL
Ooopps i meant to say the pouch is the stomach just smaller..heheheh
Ruth S.
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/08 3:32 am

Hi Darnell, The pouch is the new "stomach."  The stoma is the connection between the pouch and the intestines.  In some people the pouch does stretch.  I don't know for sure but I think the stoma stretches more often.  I had an upper GI  back in September and it showed that the barium went straight through.  If the stoma stretches your food basically goes straight into your intestines and it takes a while to get that full feeling and then you're hungry quite often between meals.   In the RESTORe procedure, the stoma (only) is stitched tighter.  I had the procedure Nov 6 and I'm very happy with it so far.  I feel full much much quicker, I stay full longer, and I go about 4 hours before I feel like I need something to eat again.  Before it was like every 1 1/2-2 hours and i was ravenous.  I hope the results end up being favorable for most people in the clinical trial so that this can be made available to others. 

darnell239
on 1/19/08 3:54 am - Columbia, SC
I am planning on making an appointment next week for an upper GI.  I have never had one but I believe I must have a stretched stoma.   I am always eating all the time and I don't have that full feeling for long.  My question is besides the restore program how can a revision surgeon help me?  I want something that is going to provide long term results.  So far the stomaphx and eros has had mixed reviews and I need something more sure.  If anyone can answer this please chime in.
catherine T.
on 1/19/08 8:18 am - lindenhurst, ny
I know that you were not interested in the lap band but maybe you should research that. I will be going in 1/24/08 for my lap over RNY. I was fortunate to have a MD here in NY that is very experienced with lap bands and he is doing alot of revisions this way. Best of luck to you I know how hard the road has been for you. Cathy
MardiGras
on 1/21/08 3:44 am - appleton, WI
our 5 surgeons believe in taking out about a 5" piece of muscle fascia out of the left thigh and wrapping it around the stoma to keep it from stretching. the stoma is the opening leading to the intestines from the pouch. it works great but i hate the scar. in the summer, in their office, you can tell all of us who had our wls there. lol. mardi

5' 8"/ 274 lbs / -144 lbs = 130 lbs. now  

BMI / 19.7

Betsy C.
on 1/19/08 5:32 am - Efland, NC
I don't think every procedure is going to help every person.  I've read both good and bad results from the stomaphyx, and you have to pay for that procedure because most insurance companies won't cover it (unless you've become MO again).  The unique thing about the RESTORe study is that the sponsor foots the bill for the entire event, including follow-up. You even get a modest stipend for participating.  I'm waiting to get approval for the study, but if for some reason I'm not approved, I will probably seek some other remedy.  Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

LosingSally
on 1/20/08 5:03 pm, edited 1/20/08 5:03 pm
The stoma is NOT where the esophagus and pouch meet. It is where the intestines are connected to the pouch. Esophagus is the tube from your mouth to your stomach.  When the pouch is created, an opening is made and the small intestines is brought up and connected to that opening through which food and liquids enter the intestinal tract. Almost all RNY post-ops have some stretching of the stoma. Over-eating on a daily basis ( old habits are hard to break) will really stretch it. The part of the stomach the pouch is made of, doesn't stretch very easily. When the stoma is stretched out, people continue to eat and the food just packs down into the intestines which enlarge to accomodate the excess food. But do not be fooled by this. Anyone can out eat ANY weight loss surgery. Maintaining usually means sticking to small portions, and not drinking with meals for RNY, and not pushing the limits. Edited to add: Barium is a liquid and passes through the pouch and stoma quite easily and quickly. Dense foods like meats, raw or lightly cooked veggies, and apples and pear type fruits do not leave the pouch quickly, even if the stoma is stretched.
Most Active