My Doctor visit today

darnell239
on 1/16/08 2:55 am - Columbia, SC
As you all know I am trying to have a revision from my 8 year old mini-gastric bypass.  I went to a surgeon in my home town for a consultation on Oct 31st.  At this meeting he said that he was willing to help me and that he could revise me with either a RNY or a Lapband over previous bypass.  He told me that I would have to go through the program of seeing the dietician, exercise person, psychologist and so forth.  So, I did all these steps and was schedule to meet with him afterwards.  So today at my appointment he no longer feels sure he can help me.  He asked what do I want done as far as a revision is concerned and I said can I have my pouch tighten up and be bypassed some more.  Because, I was bypass 200 cm 8 years ago he does feel that I should be bypassed anymore.  The conclusion I have drawn is that he is not comfortable performing a revision at all and probably lacks the skill for this procedure.  I am so upset because I was given false hope, my time was wasted, my money was wasted, and I could have spent the time looking for someone who could help me instead of jumping through all the hoops I had to go through.  Now I feel like I am at square 1 and have to start all over again.  This stuff is emotionally draining and not to mention financially draining if you have to pay program fees, pay for test, loose time from work, and so forth.  My advice to anyone thinking about seeking a revision is to make sure you find a surgeon who truly wants to help you.  
happy girl
on 1/16/08 3:11 am

I think as much as you want this done and want it done now, it is really important to get with an experienced revisionist.  If he's not feeling confident in his abilities, he should have referred  you to someone else before the testing.  What a waste of time!  200cm, in my experience is really close to distal.  My doctors used to consider a 250CM roux limb distal, but now they measure the common channel length. Maybe your options are lapband over your RNY, but I think I read you don't want that, is that right?  or stomaphyx or something like one of the new procedures like EROS or RESTORe.  I know some surgeons will do a pouch plication or imbrication, which is basically where they make pleats in the pouch and staple or stitch it to make it smaller, but the results aren't that good.  Can you find another surgeon?  I think you just need to give it a day or two, take a deap breath and start again.  I wish you well,

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

darnell239
on 1/16/08 3:23 am - Columbia, SC
No, I don't really want a lapband.  I think they can be more trouble than they are worth.  As for the new procedures I don't want to take a chance on something that is still in the trial phase or hasn't been proven yet.
JRinAZ
on 1/16/08 9:47 am - Layton, UT
Ahhhh Darnell!  I am soooooo sorry!  ....  Does your insurance have out of network benefits?  If so....just find a surgeon with a good reputation, no programs fees, who may do a first consultation via phone.  I know Dr. Schlesinger in Phoenix (did my revision) would fit that bill...... Maybe the price of a plane ticket and a few nights hotel would be less than a local surgeon's program fee? don't give up.......I'm sure some surgeon will make all those hoops you jumped through count for something!   Good luck friend......keep us posted and let us know if you need some cyber cheering! ......I was turned down a year ago by one of the best surgeon's in the area and am soooooo glad....It turned out that I found an even better surgeon and he was willing to bypass me to Distal where the otherone would not!  Some crummy things lead to better things!  I hope that's the case for you!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

melati
on 1/16/08 10:35 am - Miami, FL
At the very least, you should ask for a refund of what you have spent for fees and other costs so far.
LosingSally
on 1/17/08 8:45 pm
I don't understand what exactly the surgeon said. He said " I'm not sure I can help you" ?  Or did he say he can't tighten your pouch?  " Because, I was bypass 200 cm 8 years ago he does feel that I should be bypassed anymore." Does that mean he does feel you can be bypassed more or is it a typo, and he DOESN'T feel you can be bypassed more?  200 cm is bypassed a lot already,but  a true distal would be a bypassed portion of intestine of at least 450 cm or more. Did he say he doesn't know how to do this, or did he reccomend a course of action at all? I think I might would ask for a referral to another surgeon who can do the things you need.  Did you have any kind of testing to see what size your pouch is? Or if the stoma is stretched? You need to know where you stand before you can get anything fixed.
darnell239
on 1/18/08 4:05 am - Columbia, SC
Sally, As he put it I was already bypassed alot and should not be bypassed anymore.  I think the real issue is that he doesn't have alot of experience with revisions and do not want to handle my case.  He suggested that I find a doctor with more experience with revisions.  Which is fine by me.  My complaint was that he should have came out months ago and said this however he left me dangling with hope and had me participating in the required program.  That is why I am so mad. 
Ambitious
on 1/19/08 8:19 am - Havertown, PA

Sally,  I am sorry for your disappointment! The surgeon sounds like a jerk; however, he may have saved your life. It's better for him to tell you that he doesn't feel that he can perform the revision successfully than to put your life in his hands. I can imagine you must feel disappointed. Pray over the situation! I always seek clarity through God. I would also file a complaint and demand most of my money back. Good luck with finding a good revision surgeon. When it finally happens it will be worth it if it is meant to be. Hang in there!

~~Sami~~ *.
on 1/18/08 5:32 am - Jacksonville, FL
I would be very upset.  It's not like your bypass has changed since you first saw him.  BUT, it's a good thing.  If he's not comfortable, then you don't want him as your surgeon. I'd find a DS surgeon, if you can.  I know there's Dr. Smith in Marietta, GA...and another doc up at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Tex Girl .
on 1/22/08 7:49 am - TX
I agree with Ambitious that the doctor probably saved your life not to lay his hands on you in surgery.  I would look for a qualified doctor in your town maybe by putting a question in the forum for other people in your home town recommendations.  You know yourself and what you really need I think.  Just keep moving forward.  This is just a set back but try to think of something good that came out of it and move forward. Let me know how it goes. Kelly Revision is February.
Most Active