Revision and hernia repair at the same time?

Chandra M.
on 1/12/08 3:09 am, edited 1/12/08 6:38 am - Coweta, OK
Hello,  It has been forever since I have been to this site.. Too long I guess, I had my surgery on Sept 11, 2001.  I had some complications the following month (opening closing up) and then in Nov. 01 I had to go in for emergency surgery and nearly died, there was scar tissue that had wrapped around my intestines..  Well I was in the hospital for a week came home, and my mother in law was staying to take care of my 3 kids and on Thanksgiving day she let them out to play while I had taken my pain pill and was sleeping.  My oldest, Sarah was 5, and she wandered over to a neighbors yard and drowned in their pool.  From there my life was literally turned upside down.  I was so angry at my mother in law, and my husband (he thought my desire for a fence was senseless)..  I divorced him and moved with my 2 young boys to Oklahoma.  I didn't care a thing about myself at that time, if it weren't for my two boys I don't know how I would have gone on...  I lost down to 172 from a high of 331.  I didn't care though, I felt so guilty like it was my fault for having the surgery and if I hadn't Sarah might have still been alive..  Well fast forward a bit, my husband comes to OK too and we  went to counseling and were remarried in Sept 04.  We had Hannah in May of 05 and Luke in Feb. 07.  I never thought I could be happy again, but I have found happiness again.  However, I also found the weight again.  I am back up to 290! I have a horrible large hernia.  The deal is though that I still want one more baby, but I don't want to go into another pg this large, I am pain again, and I don't  want to get even larger before I can do something about it.  During my last pg my OB sent me to see a surgeon because he was concerned about my hernia.  The surgeon I saw said he could fix my hernia laproscopically and it would be outpatient or he could do open and at that time do a revision of my surgery.  Has anyone ever heard of that?  Would we need to get insurance approval for that again?  I am just not sure what to do.  I hate this weight, yet I am affraid and feeling so guilty again for what happened to Sarah and affraid that another complication may occur and I don't want to leave my babies.. Any advice or stories great appreciated.  Thank you, Chandra  mom to Angel Sarah Helaina-Lee  http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/myangelsarah.com and Noah 9, Jonah 7, Hannah 2 1/2, Luke soon to be 1!! Had RNY Sept. 11, 2001
SophieGrace
on 1/12/08 6:42 am - IL
Chandra:

To answer your question, yes, your hernia can be repaired at the same time as your revision.

I've popped a couple of them (muscles of stomach wall, plus the diaphram) that are going to be repaired during my revision.

My sympathies on the loss of your beloved daughter.  Congratulations on your new children.

I, too, regained my weight and am nervously awaiting insurance approval for my revision. 

Get to a surgeon who does revisions and start the process.  Lots of revisions discussed here.
Chandra M.
on 1/12/08 10:42 pm - Coweta, OK
Thank you for your kind words, and information regarding being able to do both in one surgery.  Good luck on getting your approval.  I am going to call on Monday and see about getting the ball rolling. 
JRinAZ
on 1/12/08 12:36 pm - Layton, UT
Ahhhh Chandra!  You have been through more than most ever have to  consider!  ......I'd say by the names of your kids that you are most likely a woman of Faith!  .....  Have some in your choice to become a healthier mom for your kids.  I'd bet your sweet Angel daughter would want you to take the best care possible of YOU so that you can not only have a rich life but so you can bless the lives of your entire family.  ......  If you have a surgeon wiling to do a revision with an open hernia repair then know that insurance will definitely cover the hernia repair and perhaps your surgeon will accept that as enough.  If not, there would probably just be a small self-pay price in addition.  Or, if you qualify for a Revision itself then the combo would just be coded with 2 medically necessary conditions and your surgeon would be completely covered for both.  You'd most likely need at least one night in the hospital for observation so knowing ahead of time; just line up your most trusted family members and friends.  Sometimes docs give home health care options to overnights in hospitals. I just had an open Revision (proximal to Distal) and was opened for an entirely different medical reason.  The Revision was added in cuz insurance would not have approved that piece for me. Good luck with your decision and with your new lease on life with hubby.  .....  I too, have lost a child to drowning and the deep wound can be opened in a heartbeat with the wrong triggers.  We need to live our best lives in honor of our sweet Angels!  Be happy!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Chandra M.
on 1/12/08 10:40 pm - Coweta, OK
Thank you so much for your kind words.  I know that is what I need to do, and feel I am being lead by God, but it can still be scary you know?  Like you said alot of triggers.  I am so sorry to hear that you too have lost a child to drowning.   I am going to call to set up an appt. with the Dr. on Monday, don't know how long it will take, but it will get the ball rolling at least.  When I saw him it sounded like we would just schedule the hernia and he could do the other at the same time?  I know it will work out according to God's plans if I just put it in His hands.  Thank you again.  Sometimes it just gets overwhelming, and it is nice to hear from others in the same or similar situation.   Thank you!
Most Active