just curious

smittygirl
on 1/10/08 4:13 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Hi, I just wanted to know how Joyce, Shawnta and Suzanna are feeling about their revisions and how is the weight loss going. Hope all is well.   Shana.
JRinAZ
on 1/11/08 10:36 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Shana, Thanks for asking about us.  I'm sure the other gals will check in soon and will most likely have much higher weight loss numbers than me.  BUT....I am thrilled!  I have lost 22 pounds in just over 2 weeks which is half way there for me!!!  In fact, when I went in to have my wound packed today, Dr. Schlesinger actually told me that I might consider taking in more calories!  WHAT?  I thought I was on fantasy Island!  LOL!  ......Actually, I have not gone hungry at all and have not even worried about calories.  The only thing I've been counting is protein grams; and am trying to stay over 200 daily.  Sooooo......I may be in ketosis but whatever.....it's working and cept for being tired from having a major (mine was open) surgery....I feel pretty good.  I even went in to work today for about 3 hours (I have a 1 hour commute each way!  Yikes!). My only bump in the road has been a couple of spots on my big incision that need wound packed.  Honestly, I think if I didn't work around surgeon's that I would probably have been left alone by some other practice.  But......they totally err on the safe side.  Sooooo....I'm being packed!... no biggie. My face has honestly bugged me more than my revision.  I had a phenyl chemical peel at the same time!  Holy Cow!  Those are not for whimps!!!!  3rd degree burns!.....But....I am now the proud owner of a baby butt face!  (as in "smooth as....") Sooooooooo.....that's all about me! What's your update?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

smittygirl
on 1/11/08 5:31 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Well, since you asked , I'll start from the top. I had my original RNY 10/05 with a start weight of 297. My surgeon's goal weight for me was 160. I never made it. At 9 months out I was 216 lbs and never went any lower than that. Here I am now at 27 months out and have gained back 27 lbs. I was never seriously compliant with the water intake because I simply couldn't get it all in. At about 7 months out I stopped taking the vitamins like I was supposed to because I was sick of taking them. Yes, I'm a nurse but I guess we are the worst patients. I was faithfully compliant with the protein intake. When I sat with my nutritionist  about 8 months ago and we looked back at when carbs were introduced back into my diet (1/2 english muffin for breakfast), that's when my weight loss started to slow down. I didn't realize this then. I have a serious craving for bread at times. I eat whole wheat but it's still too much I guess. My twin sister reminded me that when we were about 11 years old, our medical doc told our parents not to let us eat even one potato chip because we would have slow metabolism. Although a person can really retrain their metabolism it hasn't worked for me. To make everything even worse, I work the night shift in a psychiatric hospital and find myself eating to stay awake. I asked my surgeon about a revision and he wants me to do the lapband over the rny but I really want to revise to distal. I do see a nutritutionist so I am trying to get it together. No one mentioned that I had to see the psych lady again like the first time around so I won't mention it either. On second thought, maybe I will because I need to get my head screwed on straight before I even think about a second surgery. Someone told me to first try the 5dpt just to see if everything still works and I will try it. I already had the UGI done twice and an Endoscopy for second opinion and everything comes out perfect. Just the right size. So, how did I gain this weight? Greediness.
JRinAZ
on 1/12/08 12:20 am - Layton, UT
Sounds like you need to stop beating yourself up and maybe get a 2nd opinion!  ....  Just cuz a test shows that everything (according to them) is as it should be; does not mean that your body hasn't adjusted/compensated for the WLS and ditched what little malabsorption you may have had from your proximal (assuming you had proximal).  Our bodies are miraculous and like to heal themselves.  ......  You definitely see in hindsight what you may have done differently and vitamins are definitely something all of us should be tackling with gusto.  But, if you have some eating disorders, I would personally argue with having a lapband slapped on.  Restriction may not slow you down though it will probably "hurt" to have bread go in for a while. There have been folks on this site report great results with their revision to band so I wouldn't diss anything that may work for some BUT I definitely think the more aggressive answer is with the Revision to DS or Distal.  .....  If Greediness for health and a nice lean body are a fault then the entire world is guilty!  I think that's a good thing! Keep us posted!  Good luck!
Joyce 

Shawnta H.
on 1/13/08 8:09 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello Joyce, 22 pounds that is amazing!!!! And I wish I was half way to my goal I want to lose about 100 pounds so I have my work cut out for me but I am meeting the challenge head on.  Keep up the good work! S
JRinAZ
on 1/13/08 11:19 am - Layton, UT
Holy Cow Shanta!  You are back to work AND on the ellipitcal AND set up to with your personal trainer!  I am sooooo impressed.  I'm still whiimping along popping pain pills on occassion and cat napping!  LOL!  I did go back to work last week but only lasted 2 to 4 hours each day!  I'm headed back this week but will most likely do some whining and head home early each day!  Congrats on your weight loss.....we are just about in the same place.  Sooooooooo......do you have to hit the "facility" often?  I'm there pretty much all evening long each day.  I just break open another box of Prep H wipies and try to think of it as pounds going south!  LOL!
Joyce 

Shawnta H.
on 1/13/08 8:06 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello Shana, Thank you so much for asking about us. Other than being a little tired I am doing great I'm down 17 lbs and have had no complications.  I went back to work last Monday.  I started using my elliptical today and that seems to help with the energy.  I am looking forward to getting into the gym with my personal trainer on Tuesday.  So far I have no regrets I'm just very thankful to have this second chance to get it right. S
ellton
on 1/22/08 5:20 am
How did you Guys get approved?  Also, how much more is bypassed to be a distal?   Thanks Tonya
Most Active