Iron issues

darnell239
on 1/9/08 6:30 am - Columbia, SC
I want to get a revision and I am leaning towards being bypassed some more.  Here is the potential problem.  Three months ago my PCP ran a lot of blood work and everything looked good except for my iron level.  It was below "normal" so he put me on Tandem Dual Action capsules.  He told me to take 1 pill a day for 3 month and then he will check my iron again.  Well last Friday I had my iron level checked and today I talked with him and he said it was still below normal.  Tomorrow I have to go in and talk with him about taking a different medication.  My issue is that the surgeon I am considering for the revision may not want to bypass me if I am having iron problems.  I also worry about my iron levels if I have a revision.  I do not want to have iron infusions (whatever that is but it sounds scary).   I also worry about potential health problems down the road because of low iron).  Anyone out there with this issue?  Or have any advice or suggestions?
wigglypoo
on 1/9/08 9:47 am - Sturgis, MI
I too have had iron problems. THey tried oral iron. THe pills never works, because we don' absorb enough to make a difference. I had injections(In my rear) they never raised my iron either. The most energy I had was getting up from bed in the morning, to drive my kids to school, to get and lay on the couch for the rest of the day. My iron wasdangerously low. I had a series of iron infusion. this is just like an iv with iron added to it.. WOw what a differnce. I can exercise again. I need one every 3 months or so, but--- believe me-- it makes a difference. I still want a revision because I have gained alo of weight, but- my iron is up and my energy has returned..DOn't be afraid of an infusion... Amy
wigglypoo
on 1/9/08 9:50 am - Sturgis, MI
Sorry for the spelling errors on the last post.. I was doing too many things at the same time.. Don't be afraid of iron infusions. Get it taken care of before your revision.. Amy
JRinAZ
on 1/9/08 10:24 am - Layton, UT
Hey Darnell, Hop over to www.vitalady.com  She has had WLS over 10 years ago and then a Revison to Distal.  She is more in touch with our malapsorption issues than most surgeons.  She helps folks all over the world get their labs back in order and only sells those products that we can absorb.  Her name is Michelle and she totally rocks!!!!  She's been coaching me through the new vites I need with my Revision. I have a few friends who get the iron infusions and say it's more of an inconvenience than anything....bUT.....they work!  So, do what you need to do to feel better! good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Shawnta H.
on 1/10/08 2:01 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello Darnell, I too suffer from Iron Deficient Anemia.  As a matter of fact my Iron was low when I had my revision a few weeks ago and they just gave me Iron through my IV.  I will most likely get iron infusion for the rest of my life and it really is not that bad.  As a matter of fact I prefer getting an infusion every few months to taking yet another pill everyday. Shawnta
darnell239
on 1/10/08 2:23 am - Columbia, SC
Shawnta, Does your insurance pay for the iron infusions?  Do you have to go to a special place to have the infusions or are they done in the doctors office?
Shawnta H.
on 1/10/08 8:51 am - Ellicott City, MD
Darnell, I do the infusions at my Hemotologist office and my insurance covers it 100%. S
Ms TJ P.
on 1/10/08 5:47 am - VA
Hi Darnell, I can surely understand your issues with low iron. I had pnemonia back in 2005 when I discovered I had a very low iron level, at that time I was taking a prescribed iron supplement called hemocyte plus which also had other vitamins and minerals mixed with it including vitamin C which aids in the absorbtion of iron. I was taking for several months before I reached a decent level. Good luck ! Tonya
angelbee
on 12/31/08 12:42 am - Stewartsville, NJ
I started having iron issues last year low iron and ferritin, hemaglobin. No matter how much iron supplement i took could not get it to move. I went to a Hematologist and have been getting iv iron treatments and b12 shots everything is back to normal. Not scary or to painful just time consuming have to go to the doctors office and am there for 1 to 4 hours depending on how much iron i get. on the up side  I am now going every six weeks instead of every 3 -4 .
hope this helps.
Belinda
P S.
on 3/7/09 2:59 pm - libertyville, il
Long time since your post;;; I had 3 weeks of Iron infusions not bad at all one a week my iron was then fine  it takes 90 days to cycle before you get re checked   a hernia can be a cause for iron lose too.  I finally had a lap revision last week with a hernia repair and I am told I will lose my weight finally..
Most Active