lap band over bypass?

sheri_65
on 1/8/08 2:06 am, edited 1/8/08 2:08 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Anyone have lap-band over their bypass?  How are you doing?
darnell239
on 1/8/08 6:11 am - Columbia, SC
Sheri, I asked this same question a couple of months ago.  Also, ask this question on the lapband forum.  If you do a little research and go through many of the old post on this forum you will see the question and some of the responses.  I asked Dr. Curry on the lapband forum about the lapband over the bypass and he said it can be done.  It is more technically difficult and weight loss is slower than a "virgin" stomach.  I have another consultation on the 16th with a surgeon to further discuss my options and I am leaning towards being bypassed more.  Hope this helps.
Paula Prichard
on 1/8/08 12:03 pm - Kingman, AZ
I had my open RNY in January of 2002--6 years ago. Went from 390 to 225 and held there....then started a slow gain. Long story short I had a revision in November of 2006 to put the LapBand on my pouch. The pouch was still tiny, but the stoma at the bottom had blown out and was really wide open. The band was not nearly as painful as my open RNY, but it is a huge pain in the ass. You have to have it filled and unfilled and filled again... My surgeon is over 4 hours away so this has put a damper on my adjustments. At the one year mark (this past November) I had lost a big fat nothing. The morning of my revision I was 261. I ended up getting pregnant with my second child the last May and although I am going to be induced on Monday or Tuesday and have only gained 9 pounds, I haven't lost any from the initial 261. I imagine after I have my baby I will be SLIGHTLY less than the 261, but it cost me a lot of money and what loss I did have initially was REALLY hard....SUPER slow. The surgeon did tell me to only expect to lose 1-2 pounds per MONTH with this revision of LapBand over the RNY pouch. Not worth it.....save your cash and do Jenny Craig--you'll lose it fast and without another surgery.

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
JRinAZ
on 1/8/08 12:30 pm - Layton, UT

Congratulations and good luck on your delivery!  You are probably soooo excited!  ...... Maybe when the dust all settles from the post-partums; you could get the wheels going for another Revision?  Maybe a malabsorptive option would do the trick for you next time?  Insurance? You can call me at work if you have any specific Revision questions.  (North Valley Plastic Surgery:  480.991.6877) Keep us posted on your new arrival!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

leslieanne729
on 1/9/08 8:32 pm
 I just had a revision on 10/22/07. The surgeon had suggested doing the lapband over my pouch but you see my Stoma had streched so I knew that it wouldnt fix my problem. Plus the results ive seen werent to good so I revised to the DS. Better weight loss & better long term results. Less chance of regain Check out the DS Forums youll be  glad you did Ciao, Leslie
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
Most Active