any problems with surgeons in ocala

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/08 6:17 am
hi there...I'm in Ocala FL and need some help...many,many complications after a revision done in August '07 - down 60 lbs but many problems, infection, stricture and now herniated bowel...my problem...can't find a surgeon anywhere who will fix it and I can't go back to the one who did this to me...any one out there have complications and issues with their GBP surgeon and have to go to another... could use the help finding a new doc... I have been told by my primary care docs that if i don't have surgery soon - this can burst and kill me!  Also told by them now...it's common for my surgeon to have these types of issues...maybe why no one even at UF will take my case....
Ruby R.
on 1/3/08 9:38 am
Sorry about your problem.  Hate to ask, but why can't you go back to doctor who did revision. Again, I am so sorry Patricia 
Suzanna N.
on 1/3/08 10:29 am - Ocala, FL
Um, I believe its common for WLS in general to have these types of issues.....especially revisions. I know that Dr. O was very upfront with me about the complications that could occur at my consult and then again right before my surgery in pre-op. If you have a herniated bowel and your PCP says it can burst and kill you....then why hasn't he already referred you for emergency surgery? There are plenty of Gastro surgeons in town. Hope you get it worked out and get better. Good luck, Suz
JRinAZ
on 1/3/08 1:52 pm - Layton, UT
That sounds like quite a checklist for any surgeon to turn down???  It would seem that your pcp could have you hospitalized and then the on-call surgeon could at least tend to the emergency piece? What is the reason you can't return to your Bariatric surgeon?  Won't he/she take you back or are you just discouraged and feel it was directly their fault? I'm wondering why your pcp didn't come  clean with you about the Bariatric surgeon BEFOR your surgery if there is a bad reputation?  It sounds like your pcp has a negative opinon of him/her anyway? It is definitely important to do research on the surgeon we select for Revisions since there are so many possible complications. You've listed Dr. Overcash as your surgeon in your Avatar.  Won't he help you?  He's one of the very best Revision surgeon's in the country. I sincerely hope you are able to get help quickly and that you are able to enjoy that weight loss! Joyce in AZ
donnabug57
on 1/6/08 8:43 am - Port St. Lucie, FL
Dr. Overcash did my revision, and i have had no problems, he has a very good background in doing bariatric surgery as well as many many revisions.  I totally checked him out before I went to him for my revision.  I am sorry to hear about your problems, will he not fix you, can you give more information about your problems and what happened with the doctor.
Most Active